Snow Day

Jimmy finds Scott playing in the snow
Think flower husbands ig. I just like the ship and thought it could be cute.
Can be read as platonic, however you want.

I'm head cannoning that Scott has a bigger/fluffier/denser coat he gains for the winter since he used to be an outdoor rat.
Also Jimmy is smaller than Scott. I don't care what you say. It's funny.
Tws: none
Barely proof read
——
A heavy sigh from the corner of the washroom was the only indication there was another soul present.

It was night, so it's not like anyone else in the rattoc would be awake .. Safety rat sat outside the doorway that led to the stairwell up to the rattoc, nearly asleep. He'd appointed the job of making sure all residents of the manor were up in the rattoc and safe by night fall. Tiring, yes. But he felt as if he was doing a solemn duty to protect his family after he could not before .. Call it a nervous habit, if you will.

"Where is that guy at?" He growled, drooping his ears.

——
Scott was chilling, so to speak. After the blizzard had finally blown over a thick coating of snow made the manor and it's gardens look like winter wonderland.

'Woaah..' He whispered, gawking at the snow sparkling in the damp moonlight.

Without a seconds thought he rushed out and took a dive into the snow, sinking in till his nose was barely above the surface. Giggling, he bounced up and belly flopped into the edge of the little hole in a pathetic attempt to get back up.

After a solid minute of trying and failing he just shrugged and dive face first into the side of the fluffy snow, as it was fresh fallen there was little difficulty getting trough.
He finally made it to the edge of the snowbank and popped his head out, snow covering his head and the tip of his nose.

——
With a final defeated sigh, he sat up and began scampering out of the washroom and heading to look around the house, starting first in the kitchen, then the ball room, next the kids room, and so on.

When he came up with nothing he couldn't help but feel a little bit of worry. It was way too cold outside, what reason could he possibly have to be out there?
'Maybe he's got some winter crops .. or something ..' he thought, though he didn't really believe it.
A final look through the rattoc officially decided it, he must be outside.

——
Oblivious to the situation happening in a certain rats mind, Scott scurried around the snow happily, skidding on the icy pond, little claw marks digging into the thick ice. He ran through bushes and foliage covered with snow, sending a flurry down that rested atop his back and covered his little hat in a coating of white. 'I've missed the snow!' He thought, a giggle escaping his mouth as he tripped over a small stone and did a roll through the snow and landed on his back.
Taking advantage of the opportunity, he stretched out his limbs and waved them frantically, trying to copy the movements he had seen the children doing earlier when they were out playing in the snow.

——
Squeezing his way out of the small hole in the window, only the gods know where it came from, he paused and looked around at the icy landscape a shiver reaching from his paws up to his ears.
"He better be out here ..." He huffed, pulling his arms around his chest as he attempted to pull his little safety jacket closer to himself.

After a few minutes of searching, he came across some suspicious looking holes in the snow ... Rat sized holes!
Beyond his better judgement, he popped his head down, looked around, them hopped right in. Hey, he look both ways first.

Taking a few moments to relish in the barely warmer air, icy winds now blocked by the snow walls, he shoved his face into the Farmer Rat sized hole in one of the walls and looked around once more before scrambling in and scampering down the tunnel.

When he reached the end, he poked his nose out first, sniffing, poked his eyes out a bit more, looked around, pulled his body half out, pawed at the suspicious looking snow under paw, then shoved his way out and tumbled onto the powdery snow.
Jumping up, he's brush off his shivering pelt and follow the thick trail that led him through disturbed bushes, dislodged piles of snow sitting next to them, and around corners till he saw a blue and white speckled ball rolling around in the snow.

'You've gotta be kidding me ..'

——
He's heard the footsteps approaching, snow makes hearing foots fall very easy with all its crunching and slouching. He was almost worried till he noticed two pairs, all four falling in step one after the river. Content to just let them watch, he continued rolling about happily, little trills and squeaks filtering out here and there.

——
Safety rat WAS going to step in ... but upon closer inspection he noticed the slightly bigger rat had a luscious pelt, nearly curly at the ends dragging along in the snow after the rat.
Giving the Farmer rat a final glance, he plopped himself down, wrapped his arms beneath his meager safety jacket, and watched. Ready to escort his bigger friend in whenever he was ready.

Kinda hate how this ended but oh well...
Thanks for reading!