s1, ep 6 ; ts-19 PART 1

"daryl, you cover the back." shane said. him and rick were the first to wall through. juno second last to daryl. the inside was sorta what you'd expect for the lobby of a government building to look like. beige walls, big glass windows, painfully bright led lights, a tall cavernous ceiling.

"hello?" rick asked, his voice echoed. "hello?"

"watch those doors. watch for walkers."

juno stopped next to glenn at the sound of a gun cocking. "anybody infected?" in front of them stood a man in a labcoat, a big gun aimed at the group

"one of our group was. he didn't make it." rick said.

juno wondered why rick said that. she didn't find it relevant, but she suppose it was a small tribute to poor jim. she wondered if he was already gone by now, and if his reanimated corpse is just walking aimlessly, or if jim was even aware of what he's become, but not able to control himself. juno couldn't imagine being trapped in her own mind like that. it's such an awful fate . . . maybe rick should have left him the gun.

"why are you here? what do you want?"

"a chance."

"that's asking an awful lot these days."

"i know."

the doctor sighed, eyeing the group. he put the gun down. "you all submit to a blood test. that's the price of admission."

rick nodded. "we can do that."

"you got stuff to bring in, you do it now. once this door closes, it stays closed."

daryl nudged juno with his arm, "stay here," he grumbled.

the group soon found themselves crammed in an elevator with the doctor. juno had been smushed in the back, beside glenn and daryl. it's too crowded she thought while nervously fiddling with the loose string on her mucky shirt.

"rick grimes." said rick.

the doctor nodded. "dr. edwin jenner."

the elevator hummed to life, it jerked and began descending. and elevators suck.

"doctors always go around packing heat like that?" asked daryl, nodding towards the shotgun the jenner's hand.

"there were plenty left lying around. i familiarized myself." he said. "but you look harmless enough." jenner glanced down at carl. "except you. i'll have to keep my eye on you."

the group chuckled. juno held a small smile watching as carl laughed. this was nice to see.

"are we underground?" carol pipped up, hugging herself nervously.

"are you claustrophobic?" jenner asked.

"a little."

"try not to think about it."

when the elevator stopped, the doors slid open with a gentle hiss. "vi, bring up the lights in the big room." said jenner as he walking into the room.

there was a hum, then a loud clang, like in the movies when they turn on giant lights, revealing a large computer room of sorts. the center of the room was encompassed in a circle of desks with computer screens. what surprised juno was that it was empty of people, and quite. so quiet. you'd thing that in a room full of computers, there'd be a hustle beeps and bustle of bops. clinking of the mouse, and clacking of the keyboard, but no. there was no one here.

"welcome to zone 5." said jenner.

"where is everybody?" someone asked.

"the other doctors, the staff?" jenner held a somber look. "i'm it . . . It's just me here."