a grand escape

'in which you jump out a window'

You stood awkwardly in front of the mirror Vivian had pulled out of no where, fiddling with the fabric of the skirt she had made you try on. You spin on your heel, letting the fabric swish around your legs, before starting at yourself over your shoulder. The fabric was sturdy, which would most likely limit your movement if not for the extensive amounts of fabric used when the skirt was made. It truly did not suit you at all.

"Mh... No." Vivian says, a matter-of-fact tone on her voice, as she pulls her hair back above her head with a hair tie, "Let's get you something else." She drops her ponytail from her grasp, turning back to her closet. She pulls out a pair of pants and hands them to you. She turns around, allowing you privacy and you quickly change. 

The new pants were black in colour, and fell wide around your lower leg. You glance in the mirror again. 

"That's so much better!" Vivian places a hand on your shoulder, joining you in front of the mirror, "But what do you think [Name]?" You raise your leg, kicking it back and forth, allowing the loose fabric to move around your leg. Definitely better than the heavy skirt you had just been in, no doubts about that. You give Vivian a thumbs up through the mirror. As she claps excitedly, a knock sounds on the door.

"Can I come in?"

"You're back!" Vivian swings the door open, revealing Justin standing in the door frame. As he walks in Vivian drags her mirror out of the middle of her floor, pushing it halfway into her closet. After she finishes she takes a seat on her bed, the mattress bouncing slightly as she does. The late morning sun casts a glow onto her pale bedsheets and the rock that had been sitting in the windowsill, revealing its shine once more. You walk over and pick it up, fumbling with it in front of the streaming light. 

"That rock really is pretty" Vivian mutters, turning her gaze to meet yours with her words. 

"Where'd it come from?" Justin leaned his back against the far wall, raising an eyebrow in confusion, "Didn't realize you were suddenly into collecting rocks, Vi." She huffs at the idea, fighting a smile from surfacing on her face.

"I'm not, you fool." You laugh at her slightly wounded dignity, setting the rock down and leaning against the windowsill, "[Name] found it. She pulled it out of her pocket when we were talking yesterday."

"Right." Justin responds, a slight tease in his tone, "Where'd you find it then?" You shrug.

"Not sure."

"Wait, really?" Vivian asks suddenly surprised.

"Yeah. I just found it in my pocket like you said" You cross your arms in front of you, falling deep into a momentary thought. You glance at Justin. He knows right? That's what the explain later thing meant? He catches your gaze. He nods. You sigh, opening your mouth to speak again, only to be stopped by Vivian.

"Oh right! I guess we should be having that talk about now..." She crosses her ankles as the rest on the hardwood floor, "Dad hadn't come home had he?" Justin shakes his head. You furrow your brow, thinking of the empty couch that had greeted the three of you after you returned from the greasy diner. (The food really wasn't that bad. You're almost certain Justin and Vivian were simply messing with you.)

"Okay then..." Vivian clears her throat, "I'm sure you already figured this out [Name], but Justin did hear our conversation yesterday. I told him a bit of it, but I figured I should let you tell your side as well." You nod your head.

"Well, the abridged version is that I was playing tag with some friends in the park after failing this big test, to burn off some steam. During that, I managed to fall off this bank that was in a wooded section of it, and now I'm here..." You trail off, realizing that your story is just the stupidest thing, "Somehow..." Justin nods at your explanation, as though he's buying it. You highly doubt he's buying it. A terrible investment in your opinion.