errands in the muted gray

'in which you avoid the secretary and think about friends'

You let out a loud groan, leaning over the desk as your head spins. You do not have enough self control for spiny office chairs. Everything in your vision spins and dips, as though you were standing on the deck of a ship during an intense wind storm, fighting for balance against the deep tresses of the waves.

It had only been a few days since you began 'working' for the country and all you've been doing is spinning in your chair, or helping Layla deliver mail. On occasion you would wander blindly around the office, stumbling through the once confusing hallways, but those outings were mostly met with prompt disapproval from America. He just tends to sigh loudly and dramatically whenever you do something that he doesn't approve of.

The office you were placed into was close to America's. It was small, but cozy. Most of it was still bare, just a desk and a chair and the book case that you stole from some storeroom on one of your outings. You liked your book case, even though it was quite empty. America did not like your bookcase.

A knock pounded on the door. You barely stir as the door pushes open with a quiet creak.

"What are you doing?" A distinctly southern voice mumbles from the doorframe.

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

"I don't know..." Texas sighs, "Napping?"

"Close." You sit up, crossing one knee over your other leg, "I'm dying."

"Right..."

"Anyways, what do you want?" Texas was the only state still stuck at the office building, which was something he very clearly enjoyed and did not absolutley depise the concept of.

"Layla said America was looking for you."

"Did she?" You let out a whiny groan, collapsing back onto the table.

"Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know you had better things to be doing," You could basically hear the state rolling his eyes, "I'll just go tell her that your too busy to see what he wants."

"Oh shut up!" You sit back up straight, shooting a low effort glare to Texas, "Not like you can say anything! Last I heard you've just been sitting around too!"

"Says who?"

"Layla!" You lean back into your chair, "She knows like... Everything."

"Right..." Texas shakes his head, walking off into the hallway.

You shove yourself to your feet with a loud sigh. As you walk out the door, you pull the zipper of your coat up, resting your face inside the tall collar. Dragging your feet on the dark carpet you slowly step into the wing that holds America's office.

With your shoulder you shove the door open, and step into the office. America stares at you blankly as you approach his desk. He drops his pen on the wooden surface.

"Do you ever stop working?"

"Of course I do." America sighs quietly, resting his face in the palm of his hand.

"Mhm~" You purse your lips before speaking again, "So what did you want? Texas said that Layla said that you needed something."