pursuit of normalcy

'in which snow falls'

You sat hovering over your warm cup. The steam catches itself on your face as you stare down at the brown liquid. Vivian shoves you lightly in the shoulder.

"What? You think it's going to explode or something?" 

"No, of course not." You roll your eyes at her teasing as she takes a sip from her own glass. Following a moment more of contemplation, you take a sip of the drink as well. It did not explode, if anyone was wondering. 

Vivian hums, leaning back in her chair. You follow her eye line to the window. Small, gentle flakes of snow pass by slowly. They dance about in the frigid air before settling down on the ground. 

Your hands cup the ceramic mug, relishing in the small amount of warmth it gave you. The hot chocolate in the mug was a bit sweet for your liking, but who were you to deny hot chocolate? Especially when Vivian went out of her way to make it for you, even if you weren't too sure where she got it from. 

It had been a quiet morning, the surprise snowfall definitely adding to the sluggish aura surrounding the house. Justin was off in the early morning for work, Vivian was home for the weekend and you, of course, still didn't have a whole lot to do. You've been trying to develop some form of hobby in the last month that could ease your ever-growing boredom, but sadly, you've had little luck. 

A yawn falls from Vivian's lips, followed by an annoyed groan. You follow suit, catching the bug. Laying your head on the cool tabletop hour you let out a sigh. If the past wouldn't kill you, your boredom was definitely picking up the slack.

"We should do something."

"But what, Vi?" You question, your words muffling from your proximity to the table.

"I was hoping you would know." The both of you sigh in conjunction. You stare blankly across the kitchen, laying on your cheek. It was definitely a kitchen. Not much going on. 

Sitting up you take another drink of hot chocolate. The little liquid that remained ripples in the bottom of the mug as you set it down. It splashes lightly up the sides of the white mug, the small drops that catch on the surface slowly dripping down to rejoin the rest. You take the last drink. 

Rising to your feet, you walk over to the sink. Setting the mug in the sink with a slight ting you turn the water on, allowing you to rinse and wash the slight staining from the inside of the mug. After rinsing off the little soap you used, you grab the black tea towel off the oven handle drying the mug, before putting it away in the cupboard. 

With a slight squeak of the chair on the floor you return to the table. Leaning back in the chair you stare upwards, taking in the incredibly ceiling. It was quite the viewing experience. Plain white, flat, and with a light hanging above the table that you may have temporarily blinded yourself with by staring at it for a few seconds too long.

Covering your eyes with your hands you let out a mildly agonized groan. Vivian chuckles softly before shifting into a sigh. Parting your fingers over your eyes you stare blankly ahead at the wall. You drag your hands down your face, pulling the flesh around your mouth down before it pops back up as your hands fall into your lap.

"We could..." Vivian sets her glass down on the table with a light thud, "Go for a walk?"

"In the snow?" You roll your eyes, resting your forehead on the table.