Chapter One

Chapter One

Aurora 

Scores of voices surrounded me like an uncomfortable embrace. I tried to open my eyes but my lids were heavy and the rest of me ached with a dull pain.

Somewhere near, loud pants carried to me on the wings of a hot breath and a huge presence loomed, casting darker shadows over me. Whoever it was smelled earthy and fresh.

Then, a touch, slimy and unpleasant. Full panic gripped my body while I struggled to wake up and react. Movement was impossible and everything hurt like hell. How long had I been asleep?

"Leave us now. Protect the door and let me take care of this little beauty," a rough, booming voice roared, sending a shiver down my spine.

Once more I tried to move and at last, I was able to raise my arms. My skin tingled with awareness. Someone, something foul was taking over my space and I needed to get up and run.

Disoriented, my mind foggy, I attempted to take a few deep breaths. It was time for me to wake from this cruel dream.

"I shall just pierce your heart with a blade and end your life, little beauty, but the light inside me brightens when I look at you."

My heart pounded in my chest as I waited for my end, for there was no mistaking the meaning of his words. I didn't want to die like this, before I could inhale fresh air and see the world once again, before I returned to smelling the roses on the castle grounds and go riding with Adrian, my beloved prince.

I fought to open my eyes to see the beast or man or whatever it was that stood in front of me, but the curse set upon me was keeping me chained to my state.

Just then, he pressed his lips to mine and I froze again. I tasted him, along with all the strength and passion that flowed from his body to mine.

Deep down I wanted to scream with rage, but he was suddenly devouring my lips, tasting my scent, drawing out my soul—his energy connecting with mine.

Scorching heat rushed through my body, igniting my core, and my toes curled. How was this possible? The feeling was intense, arousing, and scandalous because I had no knowledge of this man who was devouring me so. He was a stranger, a random visitor doing something that had been denied me for decades. Forbidden by a curse.

When he finally stopped, I released a breath and at last, my eyelids fluttered, as if something about that kiss broke the last of the resistance within me that had kept me trapped in the darkness for so long.

At first, the whole world around me was blurry. I moved my hands as I regained sensation in my limbs. The warmth I'd just felt on my lips suddenly moved down my chest, then my stomach and farther down to my core, making me gasp. I was not cold and numb any more, but sentient, with heat flowing through me.

The world around me sharpened and suddenly, my vision improved. I recognised my surroundings—my chamber and my bed—but my memories were still very raw. I didn't even remember how I got here in the first place. My breaths were irregular and heavy, and my nightgown was stuck to my back.

"And she's awakened. That's a surprise," the same loud, rough voice spoke again and my head snapped instinctively to my right.

A giant of a man stood close, so close, staring down at me. He was bare-chested, muscular, and beautiful. Shock filled me at the sight, and my eyes felt like they were about to pop out of their sockets. His leather punts hang low on his hips, revealing a smattering of dark hairs on his torso. He was blond, his hair unkempt and long, but it was his eyes that drew me instantly to this stunning creature.