Backstory

Ryu was born into an abusive household within the entertainment district. Her household was already abusive before her but when she was born with 2 different color eyes, neither of which from her parents, her father was furious and accused her mother of cheating on him.

Ryu was born into a family of 6 children as the 3rd oldest having 1 older brother, 1 older sister, 2 younger sisters and 1 younger brother. All of them had a tight-knit bond due to their parents' abuse and Ren, the oldest child, acted as a mother figure. She often told stories to her younger siblings of what their parents were like before Akira's, their oldest son's, birth which was shockingly different.

One day everything was ruined when their father returned home drunk and injured from a bar fight. Ren, who was standing at the door with ramen waiting for their father, was hit by the door causing her to lose her balance and drop the bowl which shattered.

"Useless child." Their father grunted angrily as he slapped Ren across her face. "Get me another bowl."

"I-I'm sorry, Danuja-san" Ren stuttered. "That's all I made."

Another loud slap rang through the room.

"How does my wife stand someone as stupid and clumsy as you!" He screeched. "That's it I'm going to do something I should have done a long time ago."

The siblings watched in shock as he seized one of the broken shards of the bowl and dug it sharply into Ren's chest, blood spilling out of the wound. The only sound that could be heard was the bloodcurdling screaming of Ren. Their mother walked around the corner and held Ren's lifeless body close before standing up and facing their father.

"Danuja!" She yelled. "She was our only chance of fortune you moron."

Her face turned purple with anger.

"She was the only beautiful child we had!"

Their father responded by jabbing the shard into her heart.

"Fool!" He criticised. "No-one would pay for someone as untalented as her."

"Née-san was not untalented, you fucking psycho!" Akira roared from beside Ryu.

"Onii-chan!" Ryu called in a petrified whisper as Akira raced forward and began sobbing into Ren dead body.

As expected the siblings watched in horror as their father raised the shard again and brought it down hard on Akira's back.

Ryu was now the oldest, and it was her responsibility to protect her younger siblings and avenge her older ones.

"Yu-nee" Akari tugged on Ryu's kimono. "What do we do?"

"Run, hide, I'll take care of him." She ordered, drawing a pocket knife from inside her kimono.

Her younger siblings scattered as she readied a battle stance.

"You think you can beat me?" Her father slurred.

"No, but I'll give it all I've got." She asserted. "Come at me bastard."

The intoxicated man wobbled towards her and she narrowly dodged a blow. It was her turn now and she wasn't gonna let him get away with this. She used her much smaller stature to her advantage, ducking under his legs and slitting his neck from behind. She used her last bit of strength to call out to her siblings, telling them that he was dead and they could come out.

She woke up with her 3 remaining siblings snuggling into her. She carefully removed herself and set off to find work after giving her family a proper burial. As an 8 year old, finding work was difficult. She eventually landed a job with a kindly old man who gave them a generous offer of housing in the hotel he owned and $20 a week for her and eventually her siblings help in the hotel cafe.

2 years later she had grown familiar with the cafe and it's staff and was much more comfortable with greeting customers that came.

"Ladies and sir, please take a seat at table 3, someone will be with you shortly." Oka, the hostess of the cafe, smiled.

The 3 swordsmen sat at their designated table as Oka went into the kitchen to fetch Ryu.

"Ryu, dear, could you please help the lovely people at table 3?"

"Of course, Oka-sama!" Ryu chirped as she jumped down from the stool she was washing cups on. "Hana-chan, can you finish the cups for me?"

When Hana nodded Ryu skipped over to table 3 notepad in hand.

"I'm Ryu Akamu, I'll be your waitress for this evening." She bowed.

"My name is Shinobu Kocho, these are my friends Mitsuri Kanroji and Giyuu Tomioka." A girl with a butterfly clip smiled.

"Pleasure to meet you, what can I get for you?"

"Miso soup and spearmint tea please." Kocho smiled.

"I'll have Sakura Mochi and spearmint tea too!" Kanroji added excitedly.

"Miso soup, no drink." Tomioka muttered.

"Is that all?"

"We'll also get a plate of biscuits, thank you." Kocho bowed her head politely.

"Of course, I'll be back with water soon." Ryu skipped off joyfully.

"Could you sense it?" Kocho asked the others.

"That girl has potential." Tomioka nodded.

"Ara ara! Tomioka-san speaking before Kanroji? How unusual."

"If she agrees how will we decided who's tsugoku she is?" Kanroji queried.

"She can choose. We shouldn't force her to train under someone who won't help her improve." Kocho responded.

"Kyaaa! I hope she chooses me!" Kanroji squealed. "She's adorable!"

Ryu skipped back over to the table with a glass jug of water in tow.

"Here's your water! Call me if you need anything."

"Ryu, would you mind sitting down with us?" Kocho asked.

Ryu stopped in her tracks and turned around with a confused look.

"Um, sure, I mean I've got nothing else to do while I'm waiting."

She walked around the table and took the spare seat.

"Did you need something?"

"We just wanted to ask you a few questions." Kocho smiled.

"O-oh go ahead." Ryu exclaimed.

"Have you heard of demons?"

"I was told stories of them when I was a kid, why?"

"It's our job to kill demons, we want to invite you to train under one of us."

"Well..."