Three

The first thing I notice is Ronal. I cannot see her, but I can hear her quiet chanting. Then it is the headache pulsing behind my eyes. What happened to the child? Did Eywa grant her healing? Against my better judgement, I push my eyes open. The light, although dim, hurts. Ronal stops her singing and pushes a bowl of incense under my nose. Instantly, the headache fades. Relief helps me relax a little.

"Irayo (thank you)," I mutter as I sit up. "The child, is the alright."

Ronal shakes her head. "Of course, the first thing you ask after sleeping for hours is about someone else. Apart from shock, the child is perfectly fine. Thank to you."

"That is good." Pushing my self up, I test out my legs. Ronal makes an annoyed clicking sound before helping me stand.

"I would not suggest you stand, yet. You have never lost consciousness after healing before. Or ever, for that matter."

"I know." I reply, stepping away from the hold and working movement into my sore joints.

"You must be careful."

"I know."

"I am being serious, Stela. You cannot risk your own safety. I am only glad the child was not worse. It could have killed you." There is a pause, in which Ronal makes another dissatisfied noise. When she speaks again, there is a little amusement in her stern features. "You have visitor. And he has not left, even when I asked him to."

"And by asked, you mean threatened, right?" I did not wait for a response, striding out of the mauri and coming face to face with my 'visitor'. "Neteyam."

"Stela." That smile. "You are awake."

Supressing my own smile, I replied, "Walk with me?"

Together, we crossed the sandy beach, mostly in silence, stopping when we approached a large rock formation. Grasping a nearby tree, I pulled myself on top, crossing my legs and looking out over the ocean. It was nearly twilight. Neteyam perched himself next to me. I knew he would have questions, but I was thankful that he held his tongue until now.

"You are a healer?" He began.

"Yes."

"Do all Metkayina healers have glowing eyes?"

"No. Just me."

"Why?"

I couldn't help the smile that stretched across my lips. "Patience, Teyam. I will tell you."

"'Teyam'?" I shifted my gaze back to him. His grin matched mine, and I found myself drawn in by it.

"Is that okay?"

Neteyam nodded. "Yes. Very okay."

"Good." I shifted my body on the rock so that I was facing him properly. "My mother was an Metkayina woman. Sister to Ronal, and a sort of ambassador for our clan. She visited the Omatikaya when the avatars were first dispatched and before Jake Sully had even left Earth. She fell in love with one of them, and eventually, they mated before Eywa. My father was killed when his base was breached, and his human body was exposed to the Pandora atmosphere. She did not know until many days later. My mother did not have time to comprehend his death, let alone grieve when the sky people attacked and the Toruk Makto called. When the war was over, and the sky people left, my mother came home. She was pregnant and mateless. I do not think my people would have welcomed her back had they known her mate was of the sky people. Only Ronal knew the truth. She died giving birth. I would have been killed too, if Ronal had not prayed for Eywa to spare me. The Great Mother listened, and gifted me with my power, and my purpose. Ronal and Tonowari raised me, and I have been training to become Tsahìk since I could swim.

"I am of the Na'vi and the sky people. The only one of my clan. They accept me, which is why it is not fair for them to reject you. I worry about it often. Perhaps they only keep me for my gift? That is why Ronal must not know how it affects me when I use it. The more injured the person, the harder they are to heal, are they not? Often, I am left tired and weary, and at worst, with a headache, but I have never healed someone so hurt before. I can only pray that my people may never be injured worse."

It was quiet for a moment. Doubts swirled in my mind. Perhaps telling him my fears was too far? I hope he does not think me fragile, or worse. The uncertainty shattered when his arm wrapped around my side, tucking my body into his.

"No matter what your people think, syulang (flower)," Neteyam murmurs in my ear. It sends shivers down my neck and spine. "I think you are so brave for risking your health for the sake of those around you. But you must remember that your Tsahìk and her healers can help. It doesn't always have to be you."

Making a non-committal sound, I relaxed further into his embrace.

"I'm serious, Stela. This village is not your responsibility."

"But it feels like it, Teyam," I muttered, exhaustion suddenly washing over me. "And it will be. When I am Tsahìk."

"Then you must learn to share the load." Gently, he laid on his back, my head resting on his shoulder and arm wrapped around me. "Look at the stars, my syulang. One star does not light the sky, some do a little more than others, but they all work together." Neteyam takes my hand, pointing up in the sky. "You are this star, here, the bright one. Narlor (beautiful), yes? The smaller stars around you are the Metkayina healers. They cannot shine as bright as you, but they still help light up the night."

"What happens when one of the other stars goes out?"

"After a time, another will take it's place." Neteyam gently brushes his fingers in my hair. "I see you, Stela. I see you."

I roll to my side so I can look him in the eye. "Thank you, Teyam. I see you."

He only smiled his beautiful smile, and looked back up into the sky. I slept peacefully that night, curled into Neteyam's side, under the stars.