Four

All through the morning chores, I could not stop thinking about Neteyam. His smile, his way with words, and how he had called me flower. Why was there this funny feeling in my stomach? Perhaps it was another side effect of my gift. I glanced at Ronal, who was grinding away at a powder beside me. If I asked her, would she put restrictions on my healing. I know Neteyam would encourage it, but... there is that funny feeling again.

Ronal clicked her tongue, grabbing my attention. "Ay, Stela, you are very distracted today. You are not unwell, are you?"

"I'm fine, thank you." I replied, resuming my task of stirring a paste. It was silent again.

"It is a boy, is it not?"

I gasped, "Ronal!"

"You will become a woman soon, ay. I was your, age once, believe it or not. Boys were often a topic of thought."

"I am married to my work." I told her firmly, forcing my thoughts away from Neteyam.

"Somehow, I do not believe you. But do not fret. When the time is right, you will choose a fine Metkayina man, and you will have a long and happy life together."

A Metkayina man. Guilt stirred in me. Was it wrong to be thinking these things about Neteyam? When it becomes safe again, he and his family will return to the Omatikaya clan, and this will be for nothing. The thought made my heart ache. I do hope that happens either very soon, or never. But that is selfish. And I must not hope selfish things.

After Ronal dismissed me from my chores, I summoned an Ilu and disappeared under the waves with my thoughts. Barely had I begun to think, when I was interrupted by none other then the cause of the turmoil. Neteyam.

"Hello, syulang," Neteyam said, once we had risen to the surface. "I trust your morning was peaceful."

A smile tugged at my mouth. If only he knew. "It was fine, but it is better now."

"You flatter me, Stela."

"Only returning the favour, Teyam."

The rest of the morning was spent cruising along at a leisurely pace, not really going anywhere, but enjoying each other's company. Eventually, you spotted Anoung and his friends talking to Kiri on the beach.

Nudging Neteyam, I said, "Do you think they are getting along?"

"I am not sure." He watched for a moment in silence.

Lo'ak approached the group, and Roxto pulled his tail. Neteyam sighed, taking off towards the sand. I followed, dismounting my Ilu in the shallows. Neteyam stalked onto the beach, his shoulders set. I watched his retreating back, feeling the fuzziness in my belly again.

"You heard what she said." Neteyam said firmly, pushing Anoung away from Lo'ak. "Back. Off. Now."

There was a beat of silence, in which the two Na'vi boys stared each other down. Eventually, Anoung stepped back and raised his hands in acceptance.

Neteyam backed up as well. "Smart choice. From now on, I need you to respect my sister."

Still watching from the shallows, I decided it was a very good thing that Neteyam and I had been nearby. He took Kiri and Lo'ak by the shoulders, guiding them away. Still, Anoung and his goons, laughed and poked fun from a distance. Lo'ak approached them, this time with his jaw set and fists clenched.

"Oh no," I muttered under my breath, rushing forward, barely taking a few steps before Lo'ak threw a punch, right in Anoung's jaw. By the time the water was to my knees, Neteyam had joined in, defending his brother.