10

"Ma?" I called, attracting the attention of a tall, beautiful Na'vi woman.

"My 'eveng (child)." She cried, opening her arms wide.

Tears cascaded down my face for the thousandth time this week as I embraced her. It did not worry me that my mother was long dead, and that to see her, I would have to have suffered the same fate. My mother took my face in her hands. She was crying too, and she looked at me the same way one looks at a beautiful flower.

"My Stela..." She whispered. My name on her tongue was sweeter than I had imagined. "I have missed you."

"I missed you too, Ma." I muttered back.

"You have grown to be so beautiful... and you have your father's eyes."

She hugged me again, and we stood there for so long. Many minutes passed before the reality of the situation settled in.

"I am dead, aren't I?" I asked, somehow not afraid of the answer.

"Not yet. But close. Eywa has sent me here to help you, my Stela. You must make a choice. You can come with me. We will pass through the eye and spend forever with the Great Mother. Or, you can go back to Pandora, and live again amongst the Na'vi."

I could tell from the look in my mother's eyes that she wished I would go with her. She had no need to worry. How could I leave her so soon? I reached up to touch her face, to reassure her. My hands were covered in blood. Neteyam's blood. I died saving him. My Neteyam. I did not even tell him that I loved him. I love him.

My mother, as though she could sense my hesitation, took my hand. "Go. You have a whole life to come. I will be waiting."

"I see you, Ma." I said, capturing her face in my memory.

She pressed her forehead mine, and I closed my eyes. When I opened my eyes again, she was gone. Replacing her was the woven roof of the healing mauri.

"Ma?" I croaked, squinting at a blue figure crouching beside me.

"Stela?" It was Ronal. Her hand gripped mine. "You are awake."

"Is Neteyam okay?"

Ronal laughed, but her voice was hoarse, as though the practice was unfamiliar to her. "He is just fine. It was you we were worried about."

"Why?"

"You have been asleep for a week."

"Oh," I replied. A week? I could only stare plainly up at my aunt. Noticing a cut on her cheek, I reached to use my gift, but I could not find it. "My power is gone, Ronal."

"That is alright. Do not worry yourself. Rest."

I scoffed, feeling a rush of energy blow away my drowsiness. "I've been sleeping for a week, Ronal. I think I'll be fine."

Ronal hissed as I pushed myself up. Surprisingly, my head did not spin. After a few laps back and forth to stretch out my limbs, I stepped out into the light.

"Be careful Stela. You have only just woken up." Ronal called from behind me, but I waved her off, eager to feel the salt water.

I weaved through the crowd until I reached the beach. Wiggling my toes, I wondered why I had never stopped to appreciate the feeling of sand before. The water lapped at my ankles. I took in a deep breath, preparing to dive in.

"Stela!" Someone shouted behind me.

Before I could turn around, a tiny cannonball barrelled into me, her arms wrapping around my waist.

"Tuk," I laughed, lifting the girl onto my hip.

"You're awake," She said, snuggling into my shoulder. "And you saved Neteyam."

She dropped from my arms, taking my hand, and pulling me away from the water. I protested, but only for a moment, when I realised where we were headed. When we arrived at the Sully mauri, Neytiri scooped me into a bone crushing hug. She thanked me over and over. I hoped she would hug me more often. It reminded me of my mother.

Jake Sully took me by the shoulders and looked me in the eyes. "You saved my son. We are in your debt."

"Dad, I found the-... Syulang?"

Turning around, I met Neteyam's eyes. Immediately, I searched him for any trace of an injury. There wasn't even a scar. I sighed in relief, a tear trailing down my cheek. I met him halfway, wrapping my arms around his middle.

He was okay. My Neteyam was okay.

--

The Sully mauri was empty. Soon, there would be no evidence of them ever living here. The thought of it broke my heart just a little more. I hugged Ronal tighter.

"You must visit." She whispers.

"Only if you do." I whisper back. I never thought I would see Ronal cry, but here we are. I pry my finger out of my new cousin's little hand. "I will see you again, little one."

I step back. Tsireya is standing behind her mother, the tears flowing freely down her face. Anoung is stony faced, but I can see the sadness and regret in his eyes. Tonowari sends me a nod. I smile back, before retreating to Neteyam. He wraps an arm around my waist comfortingly. We mount his Ikran, and I settle in front of Neteyam.

The Ikran takes off with a screech, and I watch as the Metkayina clan grows smaller and smaller. At first, Neteyam objected to me going with them. I am glad he relented, because there is little left for me here. I have no gift, and the only man that I could ever mate with is leaving.

Neteyam's arms are strong around me the whole flight. Surprisingly, I liked flying. Not more than being in the water, which I will surely miss. By the time we reach the Omatikaya clan, I am windswept, and my legs are stiff.

I climb off the Ikran, and watch as Neytiri rushes to a decorated woman, presumably Tsahìk, and envelopes her in a hug. The Tsahìk opens her arms again, and the Sully children have a sort of group hug with her. It is now that she spots me. Nervousness flaps in my stomach. She can make me leave if she puts her mind to it. Neteyam, as though sensing my uneasiness, steps back to take my hand.

"Syulang, this is the Tsahìk, and my grandmother, Mo'at."

"Who are you?" She demands, although her tone is not unkind.

"I come from the Metkayina clan. I was a healer." I say as she approaches me.

"And now?"

I stayed silent for a moment, contemplating the question. I was no longer Metkayina, nor was I Omatikaya. I was not of the sky people, although their blood ran through my veins. I thought of my mother, a beautiful Na'vi woman, and my father, who had come from the stars. It was obvious who they were. Who did that make me?

I looked to Neteyam, who was scanning my face for any sign of distress. Looking into his eyes, I was reminded of the last eight months we had spent together. I was not just a healer, and I did not have to light the path alone. I was who ever I chose to be.

"I am Stela."

Mo'at smiled. "Welcome home, Stela."