Five

"Oh brother, I wish I had been there. The ocean has blessed you with a gift." The morning was still young, but chores had been completed, and Lo'ak was telling us about the tulkun that had saved his life. Kiri, who I had noticed felt a stronger connection to the sea, was swooning.

"The tulkun have not returned yet. And anyway, no tulkun is ever alone." Anoung said. We sat on opposite sides of Neteyam. I had not so much as breathed in his direction since last night, and I did not plan to.

"This one was," Lo'ak insisted. "He had a missing fin, like a stump, on the left side."

A gasp escaped me. "Bayakan."

"Who is Bayakan?" Kiri questioned.

It was silent for a moment, then Roxto answered. "A young tulkun who went rouge. He is outcast. And he has a missing fin."

"They say he is a killer." Tsireya told Lo'ak, her hand on his arm. Despite the topic on conversation, I had to supress a smirk at the proximity of the two.

"No, no." Lo'ak muttered confusedly.

"He killed Na'vi." Anoung said. "And other tulkun. Not here, but far to the south."

"No, he is no killer."

Tsireya inclined her head. "You are lucky to be alive."

"My baby bro, the mighty warrior. Who faced the killer tulkun and lived to tell about it." Neteyam joked in an effort to disperse some of the tension of Lo'ak's shoulders.

"You guys aren't listening." Lo'ak said, and stalked away moodily.

"Lo'ak, I am listening." Little Tuk called out.

Kiri only rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath. "Shxawang (moron)."

It was silent as the group watched Lo'ak disappear into the waves.

"Ay, we must not let this spoil our day." Anoung said, slightly too cheerfully. "Tsmuke (sister), shall we?"

Soon, Tsireya and I were leading the Sully children to our most sacred place.

"The cove of the ancestors." I told them, grinning at the wonder in Neteyam's eyes.

As we emerged from under a rocky arch, we were met with a glorious sight. Rocks were suspended from the sky, with vines dangling off them and barely hitting the surface of the water. Beyond, a circular stone formation towered into the sky. Not far ahead was the spirit tree, glowing softly underneath the waves.

"Eclipse is the best time of day to be here." Tsireya explained as the light disappeared.

I lead them forward, to the spirit tree, which was glowing brightly and beautifully beneath the water. Pride swelled in my chest as we approached. This was my home, and it was magnificent.

The tree glowed a bright blue-purple, with seaweed like branches suspended upwards and swaying softly in the current.

As we dived below the waves, I guided Neteyam to a billow leaf of the tree. He pulled his queue over his shoulder. He had barely closed his eyes when the glowing tree began to flash urgently. I caught sight of Kiri, seizing violently, her queue still attached. Tsireya broke the bond, and the sea went dark. Grabbing Kiri under the arms, I rose to the surface, holding her in my arms as I mounted my Ilu.

I laid her across my knees and brought my cheek close to her mouth. She was not breathing. I brought my hands to her chest, as Ronal had showed me so many times. Then I pinched her nose and breathed into her mouth. I could hear Tuk crying nearby, but I did not stop the routine. Finally, she coughed and spluttered up water, but she did not wake up.

I took her in my arms properly, before looking up at her siblings. Neteyam was holding little Tuk in his arms, and they sat together on his Ilu. His eyes were filled with fear and confusion. Kiri shivered in my arms, reminding me of what was at stake. We took off homeward without waiting for the others. Kiri's gasping breaths every time we broke the surface drove me faster still.

Soon, Kiri was lying in the healing mauri, still unconscious. An Avatar from the Omatikaya clan had arrived in a flying machine, with his technology and medicines. He told Jake that Kiri had a seizure. I was not quite sure what I meant for her, but his tone told me it was bad.

"I see we are not needed here." Ronal said, clearly thrown off by the new technology.

Neytiri grabbed her by the arm. "You are Tsahìk."

"Remove these things." She commanded, and Neytiri chased the avatar out. Ronal turned to me. "Can you help her?"

"No, I already tried. The problem is of her mind, not her body." I told her quietly, guilt setting in at my apparent uselessness. "I'm sorry."

My mentor only nodded. "It will not do you any good to worry."

We knelt beside Kiri and Ronal began to chant. My only job was to hold her remedies. I wished I could do something more helpful, but at the same time I was somehow grateful that it was not up to me to save Kiri. All I could do was pray.

Finally, after many long minutes, Kiri's face scrunched up, her eyes opened, and she began to sob. The sound, filled with pain and confusion, could not have been more welcome in that moment. Sighs of relief echoed throughout. I stood, packing up Ronal's things and Neytiri and Jake comforted their daughter. Ronal perched herself in the corner of the room to observe, and a small nod told me I was dismissed.

"Stela!" A voice called out from the mauri. It was Neteyam. He stepped forward so we were out of the view of our families inside. "Where are you going?"

"I am sure you want some time with Kiri. I am not needed." I told him, the guilt from before worming its way back into my head. I turned to leave, but Neteyam took my hand, stopping me.

"I need you."

Slowly, I turned back to him. His eyes were filled with fear and relief and tears that threatened to spill. His grip on my hand tightened.

"Teyam..." I muttered, pulling him into a tight embrace as he cried.

"Thank you... for helping her." He whispered after his tears had slowed down.

"I did nothing. It was Ronal."

Neteyam sniffed. "Still. You rushed her back here. Thank you."

Gently, I ran a hand through his braids. His hair was soft, and the clay beads clinked together. Reluctantly, I let go of the hug.

"Go be with your family. I will see you later, my Teyam."

He nodded, turning back to the mauri. I watched as he walked away. Then, as though he was second guessing himself. He approached me again, pressing his lips to my head.

"I see you."

Then, he was gone.