Chapter8: The Birthday Boy

Hi.
Sorry I'm late.
Chapter 9 will be up soooon.
All rights reserved.
-Malayjahthewriter

Nolan nearly fell from his chair when the light in his office suddenly dimmed. As his door crept open, Nolan was quick to assume that it was yet another prank by Daryl. The man loved messing with him, especially since he was an easy scare.

    Ms. Andrews, with a cake in her hand entered first. She was followed by Daryl who had a grand arrangement of balloons.A handful of his co-workers filled the room

The cake had white frosting covering it entirely, and three candles poking poking from the top. The orange flames of the candles illuminated the dark room.

"Happy Birthday to you."Daryl started singing the song, and everyone else joined him quickly after. "Happy Birthday to you!"

Their voices were loud and proud. It was as if no one seemed to care about the complaints Jaxton was sure to make later on.

Cheers and clapping filled the air, as Nolan smiled at the people around him. He was truly grateful that they had used their lunch period to celebrate something as "tedious as his birthday."

"We love you Mr. Evans!" Ms. Andrews shouted as hoots and hollers of agreement followed.

Nolan thought of his friends, his family, and his lovely co-workers as he leaned forward and blew out the candles.

                                                             ***
Jaxton poked his head out of his office door.

For the past ten minutes, he had been hearing nothing but banter and various sounds of cheers. His mind went to earlier that day when he saw Ms. Andrews in the employee lounge places candles onto a cake.

"Is it someone's Birth...."He mumbled to himself just as people started to disperse from Nolan's office.

Each and every person left with a slice of cake in their hand and a pleasant smile upon their face.

Not wanting anyone to see him peeking, he crouched down ever so slightly, making sure his door blocked the view of him.

"Why-Why am I hiding?" He questioned himself, as he watched Daryl exit Nolan's office.

The CEO from his crouching position. He cleared his throat, straightened out his suite, and began walking down the hall. He passed Nolan's office, and quickly glanced through the doorway.He managed to catch a glimpse of Nolan himself, with a slice cake. Jaxton stopped at the end of the hall, turned on his heel, and walked back in the very direction in which he came. He passed Nolan's doorway, once more, but this time he caught a glimpse of Ms. Andrews, who was seated across from Nolan.

"Why am I being a stalker?"

This time, instead of walking completely past Nolan's office, he stopped in front of it.

"And Nolan, I wasn't expecting it to go down like that He was literally my favorite character, and they just killed him off-"

Ms. Andrews stopped in the middle of her sentence when she felt Jaxton's presence behind her.

"Mr. Wright?" Nolan questioned, dropping his fork. "Did you lose the purple file again?"

"Huh?"

"I saw you walk past twice....it's probably in the-"

"I-" Jaxton cleared his throat. "I just realized that I left it at study at home."

The CEO awkwardly bounced on the palms of his feet. "Mr. Evans is it your....Birthday?"