Chapter 2

Octavia was watching her father, standing in the foyer of the manor. It all started when she heard the servants moving about. Her father was all dressed up and one of his servants was down there with him.

"Sir, you can't be serious about this," the servant said. "You can't trust the word of some stranger, especially one who claims to be—"

"I have no choice in the matter. He said he wanted to talk to me and only me alone," Stolas spoke in a serious manner. "I need everyone out of here when he comes. If he sees anyone else here, especially Octavia, who knows what he might do from there?"

"But sir, it could be a trap!"

"I know that already," Stolas said. "I have even considered the possibility of this meeting being a trap."

He pulled out a pistol. He checked if the pistol was loaded, pulling the receiver back to reveal a bullet in the chamber before locking it into place.

"I asked one of the guards to lend me a gun just in case he does anything rash," Stolas said. "Not a word of this gets out to the outside. I don't want a single whisper leaving here, understand?"

"Yes, sire,"

A secret meeting? A loaded gun? Octavia wanted to know what was going on. She rushed down the stairs, getting her father's attention.

"Dad, what is going on?" Octavia asked.

Stolas looked at her and puts the gun away. He looked concerned and had both hands on her shoulders.

"Via, listen to me," Stolas said. "Go to your room and stay in there until it is safe to come out."

"Not until I know what's going on," Octavia retorted. "I demand an answer."

"I want you back in your room, where it's safe and--"

A white flash of light blinded her momentarily. She squinted her eyes and put her hands in front of her as the near-blinding lights came. She could hear the sound of singing and... church bells?

"Take her and go!" Stolas said. "Take her to the dining room!"

One of the servants grabbed Octavia's hand and ran off, pulling Octavia away from her father as he turned around to face the lights.

--

Stolas watched as the crack expanded into a portal. He kept his eyes focused on the portal. He watched as he heard footsteps. He saw a humanoid, bird-like figure that looked almost similar to him, albeit with several differences Stolas could point out.

The tail looked longer than his and seemed more elegant. multiple feathers were dangling from the top of the figure's head. As the figure was walking through, he was beginning to see the stranger more clearly. The figure was dressed in a white uniform with epaulets and an aiguillette. It didn't look anything like what an Exterminator would wear at all. Then there was that hat with the crown on it.

There was a halo above the stranger's head.

'An angel came to see me?' Stolas thought. 'Is this why he wanted no one but me present? To avoid gaining any attention in Hell?'

The only time that angels were ever allowed to be in Heaven was during Extermination Day which comes at the end of every year. Once that day passes, no angel is to dare set foot in Hell ever again until the next Extermination. Any angel that breaks this law would risk suffering a fate worse than death, be it at the hands of Lucifer and Hell's nobility or otherwise.

This angel was smart in setting this meeting up. No one would be any the wiser, should everything pan out the way this angel wants it.

He saw the angel's eyes, meeting his, and as he got closer, Stolas got to see his face.