Fifteen

"WHY are you here in your room?" Her mom asked her when she entered her room. "I thought you and Reeve already ran away together?"

Maya spent her time in her room, just lying on her bed. "Mom, can you not mentioning that name inside this house? We'll just have bad luck." She replied annoyed.

"I won the bet at the basketball game." She even counted the money she got in front of her. "Do you think he's still bad luck?"

Instead of answering her mother, she just pulled the covers into her head.

"Did the two of you argued again? Seems like you always have a quarrel these past few days, huh?"

She didn't answer again. She's irritated. Irritation were the only thing she could feel to the guy she unexpectedly love. Annoyed because he let that woman who hurt him came back in his life. She's hurt because he just answered her hidden questions and that is, if he is still in love with Maricel. And base on what she saw a while ago, the answer is 'yes'.

She felt a sting on her heart. No, she's hurt. And she couldn’t help but cry when he let her hand go, and he went into the arms of that woman. Maya bit the covers.

"He's so frustrating, mom. He really does. He's such a fool. A big fool!" She sobbed. "He let that woman came back even if she cause him so much pain. I want to swing a bottle to his head."

"I know this would come along eventually." She heard her mom said. "I wouldn’t say 'I told you so'. Since from the start, I know this is going to happen. I saw how you look at him before. How your eyes sparkle the moment you hear his name, and how you smile from ear to ear when you're talking to him. You might not notice it yet back then but I already knew that you're in love with him. And I'm happy for that."

She stopped biting her blanket. "Even though I'm hurting now?"

"It's part of life, Maya."

"No, mom. I know I'm really that stubborn for not listening to you back then. When you told me to stop forcing myself to him because you know that this will happen to me. That I'll get hurt."

"But I didn't, right? Because I know you'll get through this."

She brushed away the tears from her cheeks. "Why do we have to get hurt when we're in love, mom? Can we just fall in love and be happy?"

"Being hurt is part of falling in love. You won't know the feeling of being happy because of love if you'll never get hurt by it."

"It's confusing. I hate it."

Her mom lovingly patted her hips through her thick blanket. "You'll be fine."

"I hope so. I don't want to be like Reeve who suffered for a year just because of his stupid love for that woman called Maricel."

"That's my girl. So come on, get up. You didn't eat your lunch yet."

"I'm not hungry. Go ahead and eat first, I'll eat later."

"I thought you'll not cave in here? Get up, Maya. Fight as much as you can if you really love Reeve."

"The problem is… he doesn't love me back, mom."

"That's not a problem, Maya. Then let him fall for you, just like what you did when he keeps on ignoring you. Isn't it that you did everything to get his attention? And look what happened, he even invited to have coffee with him. You'll do great just don't give up."

She stops from sobbing again when she realized what her mom just said. She's right. She did the first move on him, so why not do it again to make him fall for her? Until they are not married yet, she still has chance. Even if they're already getting married, she can still object during the ceremony.

She sighs and faced her mom who's still counting the money she just won. "Mom, how can I do that?"

"Ha?"

Is she really her mother? Was she really talking to her a while ago or it's just her conscience? But it sounds like her mom.

"How can I make him fall for me?"

"Don't ask me; ask your heart for that matter. You and your heart can understand each other."

"Right."

The explanation was still blurred but she got an idea in her mind.