⇝ CHAPTER FOUR ⇜

Cooking

After four days of being with the twins, Amelia was becoming more and more comfortable with their antics. She and Azrien would spend time either messing with Alizair or playing games until Az lost so many times that he'd storm off again. When that happened, Amelia would cozy up with whatever book Al had suggested to her and read to pass the time. Amelia would also help Azrien cook from time to time, though he was particularly easy to irritate when in the kitchen and she would oftentimes find herself getting thrown out.

    It was an unusually quiet day at the cottage, as Azrien had gone out shopping, when Amelia disturbed the peace by dropping the book she had been reading on the coffee table. There was a horrified look on her face, agony in her eyes, while Alizair sat in his chair across from her, grinning wildly.

    "You're kidding," she sighed, leaning back into the couch and rubbing her eyes. She wasn't crying the way Alizair had predicted she would, but her reaction was close enough. "There's no way!" She then shouted, all the while Alizair chortled quietly to himself.

    "Horrible, right?" Alizair couldn't keep the excitement out of his voice. He had Amelia reading three different books, claiming that reading more than one at a time was good for your brain. She had finally gotten to chapter 25 of the red leather book she had picked up on her first day at the cabin.

    "Oh my gods," she groaned, hands covering her face. "That was so brutal. The way they just killed his character off like that?! And after they slept together for the first time?!" Amelia sat back up, anger in her eyes as she glared at the book on the table.

    "But think about how much stronger it will make her character!" Alizair countered, motioning with his hand for her to pick the book back up. "And with the war going on? She has no choice but to keep going."

    "The only man she ever loved just died," Amelia shook her head, now turning her stare towards Alizair. "How is she supposed to do anything after that?"

    "Because she has to," Alizair rolled his eyes, being blatantly over dramatic, just like Azrien had a tendency to be. "How else are they supposed to-?"

    "I'm back!" Alizair was cut off by the sound of the door swinging open and crashing against the wall. Azrien stood in the doorway, bags layering each arm and a triumphant look on his face. "I got all sorts of goodies."

    "Do you need help, Az?" Amelia got to her feet and headed over to him, her conversation with Alizair now completely abandoned.

    "Nah, I got it!" Azrien assured her as he made his way across the cabin and into the kitchen. He promptly dropped all the bags onto the floor, not caring much for their contents, as Amelia shut the door behind him.

    "So what are we making today?" Amelia asked as she made her way into the kitchen. She picked up a couple bags and started to put things away, Azrien doing the same.

    "I'm thinking chicken alfredo, does that sound good to you?" He replied, looking over his shoulder to see her answer to his question at the end. Amelia smiled and gave him two thumbs up, putting the things they would be needing for the meal to the side.

    "How much junk food did you buy?" Amelia couldn't help but laugh as she pulled two boxes of cookies out of one of the bags. Azrien turned to her and snatched the boxes from her hands, holding them close to his chest.

    "If you judge me for it, you're not allowed to have any," he chided, turning his nose up at her, eyes closed, as he continued to hug the boxes. Amelia gasped, eyes wide as she stared at him.

    "No way!" She reached for one of the boxes, but he turned so they were out of her reach. Even with his eyes closed, he had predicted her movements. "You would never do that to me."