⇝ CHAPTER SEVEN ⇜

Mac 'n Cheese

    A few hours had passed between when Alizair left and when Amelia finally emerged from her room. Azrien had fallen asleep on the couch, the gentle hum of his snoring filling the cottage. Amelia snuck around him, into the kitchen and began rummaging through the cabinets. Most of the food she came across was stuff that needed to be prepared as a meal, causing her to sulk slightly.

    While trying to keep herself as quiet as possible, she managed to climb up onto the counter so she could reach the taller cabinets. After searching those for a few minutes, she managed to find a box of mac and cheese. She moved from her knees, to sitting on the counter as she found the expiration date and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was nowhere near expired.

    "Score," she whispered, a smile gracing her features at the thought of comfort food.

    "Digging through our stuff, huh?" Azrien's voice sounded directly beside her ear. Amelia screamed, dropping the box on the floor and quickly jumping off the counter. She turned around in a flash, hands up in fists as though she was ready to throw down with what she thought to be an intruder.

    Azrien watched all of this, the corners of his mouth stretching into a grin as he attempted not to laugh at her. Once she finally turned to see him, he quirked his eyebrow up, as if questioning her reaction. An exasperated sigh escaped the poor girl as she dropped her hands back to her sides.

    "Azrien, you freakin scared me," she grumbled, bending down to pick the box up from its previously discarded place on the floor.

    "You don't say," Azrien hummed, leaning against the counter where she had been sitting moments ago. "But you still haven't answered why you're digging through our stuff."

    "Cause I'm hungry," she shook the box of mac and cheese, making the noodles rattle. "Why else?"

    "I thought maybe you were looking for your phone," Az shrugged, crossing his arms over his chest as he watched her start searching for a pot to make the food in.

    "And why would I be doing that? I thought I'd made it pretty clear that I wasn't going to try anything," Amelia stated, grinning to herself as she found the pot. "Also, I'm sorry if I woke you up. I was trying to be as quiet as possible."

    "Trained to be a light sleeper, so don't beat yourself up about it," Azrien replied. "After our fight earlier today I was sure you'd be looking for a way out of here, so I just assumed that's what you were doing when I woke up to the sound of cabinets opening and closing."

    By this point, Amelia had the macaroni noodles in the pot, the water slowly starting to heat up. She turned her attention back towards the shaggy haired man and took a moment to observe his appearance. His hair had gotten a little bit longer, now flowing just passed his shoulders. A dark five o'clock shadow covered the lower half of his face and the bags under his eyes revealed that he probably hadn't been getting much sleep in the week they'd been at the safe house.

    "I wouldn't really consider what happened to be a fight," Amelia said, almost attempting to comfort him since she knew he probably felt guilty over the whole situation. "I blew up when I shouldn't have and we walked home in silence."

    "Yeah, but I shouldn't have asked what I did," Azrien conceded, shoulders slumping slightly as he let out a dejected sigh. "Alizair always did say I had a tendency to come off as an asshole even when I didn't mean to."

    "Don't worry so much about it," Amelia waved her hand dismissively, trying to put down the bad feelings Azrien was obviously having. "I've been asked that same question a hundred times.  Honestly, that's probably why I flew off the handle like I did."