I Am Real, You Are Not (Brian Thomas)

She keeps coming back.

He thought they were over, but she continued to show up.

Her presence no longer held that comforting aura like it used to. If anything, there was nothing besides the eerie silence between the two. Brian gripped his face firm and dragged his rough fingers slowly over his cheeks before leaving his stubbled chin.

The worn bed-springs groaned under him as he hunched over his knees to look at Y/N more intently, who stood unbothered in the doorway. Meeting her gaze, the eyes she used to watch him with were glassy, bleared, and colorless; a bleak memory of what they once were.

Brian could never manage to keep eye contact any longer than a minute before he'd shoot his gaze down defeated; Y/N always winning the staring contest. It frustrated him how easily he submitted to her presence, almost effortlessly.

His heart collapsed when near her, but he couldn't help but admire how beautifully macabre Y/N looked surrounded by the incoming moonlight from behind, casting a strong shadow over his shriveling form on the ground. Brian's nose burned and his teeth clenched behind his lips nearing the verge of tears. "Why won't you say something? Instead of just..staring", Brian kept his head low as he quietly groaned.

As expected, the silent treatment proceeded. Brian searched her face under his brows. He made sure to graze every possible section of her face, looking for the slightest hint of reaction. An eye twitch, the flick of a finger, Anything!

Brian felt himself getting worked up by the way every nerve in his body vibrated. A panic attack was on its way.

Violently shaking his head with a string of curses, he pleaded; "Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! Please..."

...

"Why do you keep doing this to me!?"
...

"Just leave me alone, go away-", He seethed in utter anguish.

Brian fell forward on his knees, hands gripping desperately at his temples in an attempt to ground himself as he continued to spiral at Y/N's feet. Tears streamed uncontrollably down his cheeks to collect at his jaw. The air felt suffocating, causing him to gape at the air like a fish out of water. In the midst of his hyperventilation, Brian's eyes snapped open at the sound of rattling to see an almost empty prescription bottle collide softly at his clad knees.

He scrunched his soaked face in confusion as he moved to shakily pluck it from the ground, twirling it in his hand as he examined the last few remaining bleach white pills behind the container's label.

"Show me the way out"

Brian shot his head up to face his lost lover the moment those ghostly words grazed his ears.

"I'll leave you be", Y/N moved her hand back to her side; silky voice drifting through the icy night breeze.

For the first time in a long time, Y/N spoke. Although it sounded so distant, not exactly the same, it was still nostalgic. All Brian could do was stare in disbelief as he felt his heart drop in his chest. There was a slight pause before Y/N took graceful strides his way and kneeled in front of him with no falter in expression.

Now that they were only centimeters apart, Brian could see there was indeed a slight tint of color in those lost eyes of hers, making his muscles relax just slightly. Feeling a cold sensation on his hands, he glanced down to see that her's were encased around his own burly ones.

Brian's lip quivered faintly as he watched Y/N raise the hand that held the remaining prescription over his chest, and up to his chapped lips. The world seemed to have gone deadly silent, as if a nocturnal critter was too frightened to make a peep. It was just Brian and Y/N; the moment feeling strangely intimate as the dirty blonde locked eyes with the woman in front of him once more, feeling his hand be pressed firmly against his mouth, prodding him to take the pills into his maw.

Without needing to say a word, Brian dry swallowed what was left in the orange container. Not once taking his eyes away from hers, feeling a stray tear escape his lid in quiet tragedy.

Y/N simpered for a moment and closed the space between the two, giving a chast kiss on the outer corner of his lower eyelid, causing a chill to cast over Brian's body.

Brian squeezed his eyes shut at the contact and choked on the tight ball formed in his esophagus, causing a whimper to escape into the silence. Despite begging for her exit a moment ago, Brian wished it could last a little longer.

After letting his puffy eyes rest in the moment, he opened them to pine once more.

Only to see nothing but air.