13|Proposition

The past few days of Bia's life had been some of the most physically taxing yet liberating at the same time because she had struggled to strike a work life balance. Since her friends were in karachi, there were different parties and hangouts she was invited to, which she had struggled to attend. There were some odd, unexpected late night ice cream and coffee hangouts with Soniya and Zulqernain, which she truly looked forward to.

While a day ago, Rahim had organised a horse riding competition where like old times they had raced on their horsebacks. It was the most exciting day of Bia's life and one she would never forget for she felt alive after so long. Riding Fars and bonding with him brought her immense joy. Challenging Hassan and Rahim and winning the horse riding competition despite Zulqernain's attempts at cheating his way through made her feel accomplished. It validated her and after ages did she feel like she could conquer it all, for her dwindling confidence and zest was rekindled. She couldn't thank Rahim enough because by keeping his promise of organising this event, he had reignited her trust in people. He had shown her that the world isn't filled with selfish people only and there are others who remember little things that bring people happiness and fulfill their promises. That there is more to life than the greys that she was used to. Somehow, unknowingly, he had pushed her to cling onto the ray of hope that she was stripped of off.

Though, Bia had already thanked Rahim for the race, earlier today she had sent him a pair of riding boots and saddle pad for his horse Spirit as a token of thanks.

"Hello Rahim, hope you liked the gift?" She answered the call.

"I absolutely loved it, and so I called though you didn't have to gift me anything."

"Well it isn't much, so don't fluster yourself over something so little. Moreover, it means alot that you remembered my wish of horseriding and organised an event. Can't thank you enough for it!"

"Damn you make me sound like some stranger, I've known you for a long time woman, even if we have met after 10 years doesn't mean I'm a complete stranger who you are thanking crazily. I've organised such competitions for you in the past as well in case you've forgotten."

"No I remember just fine that you did it in the past as well but back then it was different."

"How come was it different? Just because it's been a decade to losing out being in touch doesn't mean our friendship has vanished. We have been friends for over longer Bia. We don't know much about each other now because of the distance but man isn't the common saying absence makes the heart grow fonder? So chill and we can reconnect again so that you don't feel awkward when I do bare minimum as a friend."

"Ok baba no need to reprimand me. I'm sorry for thanking you profusely. Happy?"

"Yes. Waise bhi Daniyal kehta tha na dosti mai no sorry no thankyou," Rahim said wistfully.

"He loved quoting Bollywood movies." Bia said with a sad smile. Afted chatting a bit, Bia hanged up the phone but throughout the conversation she couldn't shake the feeling that Rahim sounded a lot like her psychiatrist. She had only talked to her psychiatrist on call and this was the first time in a decade when she was talking to Rahim on a phone call. Moreover, her psychiatrist surname was Yazdani and she couldn't shake the dread of what if they were the same person. She had never wanted to know who her psychiatrist was and what he looked like so that it became easier for her to divulge all that she went through and was feeling. She didn't want a face to the name therefore, even though she was sent a file disclosing about the panel of psychiatrists who were part of this telepyschiatry session, she never once opened the file to see what her alloted shrink looked like. But at this moment she had felt the need to go over that file in order to put a face to the name. She had wanted to confirm her suspicions. Though, Yazdani was a common surname, but Rahim sounding so much like her psychiatrist filled her with dread and she had wanted to be proven wrong.