Part 3 - Meeting of the Minds

Part 3

-17-

meeting of the mind

Spencer Wheaton, a born eternal, with a talent—on par with a Nephilim. Yet, she's not a violet-eyed human who grows from the womb, into a child in hours. She'd had a childhood, a rough one, but a childhood. Unlike Trystin, who had grown in just moments after his birth, stand on the porch of her home. The one she shares with her wife, Rylee Scott, her soul mate.

"Do you think something is going to go wrong?" asks Trystin. His violet eyes are sincere.

Spencer's eyebrows raise, and she turns, elbow on the railing of the porch.

"Hasn't something already gone wrong?" asks Spencer with a huff. "We lost one of our last soul mates."

Trystin smiles, his hair tugged back into a short ponytail, the corners of his eyes crinkle as he meets Spencer's amber-blue-eyed gaze.

"Really? That's a minor hiccup. I was thinking more of an earthquake-sized problem," says Trystin. He mirrors Spencer, but he crosses his arms, his chest broader in the last few months. He's been lifting weights and training.

"You know, kid," says Spencer, cupping her hand on his shoulder. "Don't jinx it!"

Trystin laughs. His laugh is so like Abby's, breathy and quick. He gently elbows Spencer, and she huffs again.

"We just have to put them in the same room together, Trys. How hard can that be?" asks Spencer.

"If you can't find them..." says Trystin in a teasing tone. "I am going to go back inside and sit with Harry. He was telling me about the days before computers! Fascinating that things even worked back then."

They'd tunneled, via Ship's now vast tapestry of tunnels through the earth, to the seaside residence of Emma and Mario Scott, where Rylee, Spencer's wife, had been with her grandfather, Harry, who is dying.

Spencer hangs her head, laughing when her phone trills. She flips her phone over and sees a text.

Bringing you to me.

Spencer calls out to Rylee that she is leaving. Rylee steps out on the porch, kisses her, tells her she loves her, and then Spencer feels the tug of Sydney's power.

In a flash of yellow light, she materializes. Her blonde hair halos around her. She blinks her blue and amber eyes. She turns her head to see the woman who had just teleported her here wherever here is.

Besides her is Sydney Doyle, a made eternal of the same line of blood as her own, but another branch, so to speak. Spencer's other soul mate. Being of two bloodlines, Spencer had met Rylee Scott on her first day at Haven Island Academy in California. That same day, she'd met Sydney Doyle as well. The instant connection with both had been evident to Spencer. However, she'd fallen in love with Rylee, and Sydney had been the one she gravitated towards for music. Later, when Sydney had taken the Eternal strand to cure her of HIV, Spencer had fallen in love with Sydney as well. Thankfully, the two women in her life are understanding and supportive.

Sydney rests her elbows on the railing of the Statue of Liberty. The vista of the water stretches before them in waves of silver, with the City of New York to their left. The faint sounds of city life tickle their ears.

"I found her," whispers Sydney. Her hair whips around her face, obscuring her dark green eyes. "I thought I'd 'port you in."

"Why don't I like the tone of your voice?" asks Spencer. Had Trystin jinxed them? She is going to kick his ass during their next sparring session if he'd jinxed them. This hunt for soul mates is almost over. And then, she and Sydney can play music, and she and Rylee could live and not worry about the world.