Old Friends

May 21/2154

NO pov

Jake is meeting Trudy in the armory as she brings him over to her Samson 

Trudy: "I'm Trudy. I fly all the science sorties. And this here is my baby. Hold on a second." she walks over to the cockpit and talks to the gunner

Trudy: "Hey, Wainfleet! Get it done. We bounce at zero-nine."

Wainfleet: "Yeah, I'm on it capitaine!" He says mounting his machinegun to the aircraft. 

Jake: "You guys are packing some heavy gear." says rolling next to Trudy through the hanger 

Trudy: "Yeah, that's 'cause we're not the only thing flying out there. Or the biggest thing. I'm gonna need you on a door gun. I'm a man short."

Jake: "I thought you'd never ask."

Trudy: "There's your man. See you on the flight line." she says fist pumping Jake. 

Jake: "You wanted to see me, Colonel?"

Quaritch: "This low gravity'll make you soft." he says benching 10 plates "You get soft, Pandora will shit you out dead with zero warning. I pulled your record, Corporal. Venezuela, that was some mean bush. Nothing like this here, though. You got some heart, kid, showing up in this neighborhood."

Jake: "I figured it's just another hellhole.

Quaritch: "I was first Recon myself. A few years ahead of you. Well, maybe more than a few." as he walks by Jake as he follows next to him over to his Titan suit "Three tours Nigeria, not a scratch. I come out here?" he says pointing to his scar "Day one. Think I felt like a shavetail louie? Yeah. Oh, they could fix my up, if I rotated back. Yeah, and make me pretty again. But you know what? I kind of like it. It reminds me every day what's waiting out there." Quaritch then climbs up the side of his titan"Hup! The Avatar Program is a bad joke. Bunch of limp-dick science majors. However, it does present an opportunity both timely and unique. CLEAR!" Quaritch starts up his titan <KT-0424 ONLINE> and giant robot booms as Jake is on a raised platform next to him "A recon gyrene in an avatar body. That's a potent mix. Gives me the goosebumps. Such a Marine could provide the intel I need, right on the ground. Right in the hostiles' camp. Look, Sully. I want you to learn these savages from the inside. I want you to gain their trust. I need to know how to force their cooperation or hammer them hard it they won't. As well as keep eyes on Cooper he is dangerous he fights with the same savagery as them and he knows them better than most gain his trust and you're in." 

Jake: "Am I still with Augustine?"

Quaritch:"On paper. Yeah, you walk like one of her science pukes, you quack like one, but you report to me. Can you do that for me, son?"

Jake: "Hell, yeah sir."

Quaritch: "Well, all right, then." Quaritch begins to move his Titan's arms and throw a few jabs in the air before turning to face Jake. "Son, I take care of my own. You get me what I need, I'll see to it you get your legs back when you rotate home. Your real legs."

Jake: "That sounds real good, sir." 

Quaritch walks off in his titan. 

Y/n is looking across the armory repairing BT's shoulder. 

BT: "Pilot you seem... distressed"

Y/n: "I don't trust him."

BT: "Ecknowledged." 

*Scene change* 

Max: "Links ready!" 

Grace walks over to Jake who's getting into his pod "Just Keep your mouth shut and let Norm and Y/n do the talking."