𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞 𝕾𝖎𝖝

• 𝓜𝓪𝓮 •

Later that day, I stood under the hot spray of my shower, willing the pain to go away. But even through that pain, I was pretty proud of myself. Towards the end, I got a few punches in, and even though Kite barely moved when he was hit, the surprise on his face was enough. He hadn't expected me to catch on so fast, let alone land a few hits on him.

Vampires were stronger than humans, so much so that even going into it, I knew I wouldn't get too far. The few times that I actually hurt Zero, I had caught him off guard. It was going to take a hell of a lot of training to get to a point where I felt I was strong enough to kill him, and even then, I would likely need to do it when he didn't realize it was coming.

Zero filled me with a type of burning rage only fear could produce. I'd been so scared of him and what he was capable of for so long, that it pissed me off royally to even think about. The things he'd done, even before his mental state took a quick turn to crazy, should have warned me.

He was never nice, per say. He was controlling, possessive, and downright mean at times. But I'd tried to see through that, to the little glimpses of kindness that I was privy to on occasion. If he was nice occasionally, why couldn't he always be that way?

In truth, I'd befriended Zero to try and help him. Or fix him. Whatever. I knew he was capable of bad things...

I just didn't realize how bad.

I turned off the shower and dried off, trying to rid my mind of Zero and the things he'd done. At least for now. I wanted nothing more than to kill him, and I would, but I wasn't ready yet.

Well, that and I still didn't know how to fully kill a vampire.

After I dressed, I stepped back into my room, eyeing the dresser as it sat in front of the door.

I hated being afraid. Hated being weak against these fucking blood sucking leeches. However I felt about Noah, and possibly Luca and Kite, it didn't change the fact that I loathed their kind and what they'd done to the human race.

I stepped up to my window and looked down, watching as children laughed and played, knowing nothing else besides the confines of the district they were destined for. They knew nothing of the life before. Of television and cell phones. Of video games and social media.

Of how a parent is supposed to love their kids.

I tried so hard to make sure my kids felt loved by me, even though I had no idea who their real parents were. They had been born for the sole purpose of being bled, but within the four walls of our home, they were cared for. Loved. Taught of the time before, and even of history never taught in the schools within the districts.

I tried so hard to protect them.

I closed my eyes.

I'd practically whored myself out to Kite for their protection and yet one momentary slip and they were gone.

I opened my eyes again, the children from before gone from view. They were kept in the dark. They wouldn't know true evil until they were of age, and even then, would they come to enjoy it like some did? They were groomed at such a young age to like vampires...

I blew out a breath and turned away before I punched a hole in the glass.

Kite was afraid to explain to me how to kill a vampire. Noah and Luca wouldn't tell me, solely for the fact that they'd be afraid I'd use that knowledge on either them or Kite...but I had a feeling I knew one person who would tell me, regardless of what I planned to do with the information.

I pushed my dresser out of the way from the door and stepped out into the hallway. As usual, there was no one. I couldn't hear anyone either.

I wasn't sure where he'd be, and it was like I was grasping at straws in the hopes that he would give me that much information without expecting something in return. What exactly would I give for that information right this second?

Nothing. I wouldn't give anything. Because I wasn't nearly strong enough to go through with it. But I needed to know. I wanted that knowledge in case I could go through with it. In case I was strong enough.

I walked for what felt like forever, passing human servants and the occasional vampire along the way. None of them stopped me, none asked if I needed help. But I didn't want their help. I didn't want word of what I was doing to get back to Zero. Even doing this was taking a chance.

When I finally saw him, I was thankful he was alone. He entered through the front doors of the castle, his eyes searching the entryway. When they landed on me, he stopped.

"Seraph," I said.

He waited until the doors closed behind him before he walked over to me. "Not here."

He tapped my arm as he walked past, and I followed. He led me back down from where I came from, and I worried he was bringing me back to Kite. When he bypassed the office, I let out a breath.

He eyed me over his shoulder for a moment as he continued walking.

He led me down another hallway and stopped in front of a door.

"Zero isn't," I paused, then nodded towards the door. "He's not in there, right?"

"No," he said, opening it and motioning me inside.

I stepped in and turned, way too aware of him being at my back. I didn't know much about Seraph. The only thing I knew was that he protected me from Zero at one point. And maybe that's all I needed to know.

When he shut the door, I expected him to ask what I wanted. Instead, he walked past me to his bed.

I took the time to survey his room, and though I didn't know much about him, it seemed to fit him. Dark walls and furniture, a black duvet on a king sized bed, black sheets, and black painted doors.

He turned and sat down, eyeing me.

"How do you kill a vampire," I asked.

His eyes widened ever so slightly, his mouth opening on a quiet gasp. Something akin to excitement lit his eyes, and I wondered if it had been a good idea, coming to him.

"Who are you wanting to kill, little bird," he cooed.

I blinked, trying to overlook the weird nickname. "It doesn't matter who."

"But it does," he said, tilting his head. "Because depending on who depends on my answer."

"What," I asked, "like if I say someone you like, you'd tell me to fuck off?"

His lip curled slightly. "I don't like anyone, so no. I mean depending on who it is, depends on the way I'd recommend killing them."

I narrowed my eyes. "You?"

He grinned then, and I couldn't help the widening of my eyes. Dimples appeared in both cheeks, and his fangs glistened in the light of his room.

"You'd come to me to find out how to kill me?" His fingers spread over his duvet, then he gripped the sheets lightly. "That's brutal. But I'd suggest beheading, if you're going to come for me. With a pure silver sword."

This dude wasn't normal at all, my god.

"Now," he leaned forward, his grin never wavering, "who are you really wanting to kill?"

I watched him for a moment longer. "Zero."

He ran his tongue over a fang, closing his eyes as if the name was like music to his ears. Whether it be because he liked Zero, or he somehow hated him just as much as I did, I wasn't sure.

When he opened his eyes again, they suddenly seemed darker. More sinister. His smile was no longer there, and he just stared at me through long lashes. It almost seemed like he was a completely different person.

"For Zero," his voice was much deeper than it had been previously, and I had to keep myself from taking a step away from him, "I'd burn that motherfucker on a stake and wait until he's nothing but a burnt crisp before I shoved a silver knife into his chest to finally end his suffering. Silver, little bird. Everything you can and want to do against any vampire...you'd need silver."