8. Doing All We Can

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR PATIENCE AHHHHHHH!!!!

----

Zen walked into the room, seeing his little sister, her aide, and his aides standing together waiting for him at one of the meeting rooms. Aki was in her casual clothes, as was Masaru.

"Zen-niisama," Aki raised a hand, "the guests are already waiting inside."

Zen smiled, patting his little sister's head. "Never mind the guests - how are you all here before me?"

"We only came here after Obi called us," Kiki stated.

Obi's usual bandana was around his neck and his attire was more proper than usual; he placed a hand on his chest and bowed slightly, an exaggerated expression on his face. "I went to summon them using the shortest route to your residence."

Zen looked at Aki. "Did you show him a shorter route?"

She raised her hands. "Obi probably knows more route options than I do at this point."

Zen chuckled, putting his coat on. "It looks like we have a bit of a dispute between my guests, huh? I wonder exactly what it's about."

Aki glared at the door. "It's with Blaker-dono. I haven't met him personally yet - and he doesn't know me either - but I was watching them from the trees when they arrived and I don't like his attitude."

Zen paused, looking at her. "I'll keep that in mind... if only this wasn't a private official meeting, I would let you watch our interaction by my side, Aki."

"It's okay," she shrugged, looking down at her attire. "I'm not even wearing proper clothing, so I wouldn't be able to sneak in either way. I can always go and help Ryuu and Shirayuki out."

"Alright."

"We're going in, then." Kiki and Mitsuhide opened the doors, letting Zen in.

Masaru, Obi, and Aki watched him go in, turning to leave once the doors closed. The trio headed for the fields, having asked the Chief Pharmacist about Ryuu and Shirayuki's schedule earlier today.

Meanwhile, Zen had finished talking to Viscount Blaker and Kihal Toghrul. Aki's feeling had been right, as it had been in the past. Zen did not like the attitude Blaker was showing during the meeting. But without any evidence, Zen really could not do anything to call Blaker out if there was anything illegal or unjust going on... He also noticed the conflicted expression Toghrul had at the Viscount's words.

She hated nobles.

-

Aki had to make a few stops before heading over to the garden. Obi went on ahead and she made her rounds with Masaru. Once she was done, they made a beeline for the gardens. Masaru had his hands behind his head, casually walking by her side. They had spotted Shirayuki's red hair before the garden itself.

Aki heard the shrill, but beautiful, cry of a creature above them and looked up. In the sky was a beautiful blue bird with green-tipped feathers circling above. Another high-pitched noise sounded in the air; it was a different, distinct sound... like a whistle.

"Wow... I've never seen that type of bird before..." Aki breathed, watching as it flew down and landed on someone's arm. "Oh, that's... who was with the Viscount earlier. I guess they finished their meeting with Zen-niisama when we were walking around."

Shirayuki approached the girl and Aki jogged to them. Shirayuki glanced over Kihal's shoulder at Aki, already immersed in conversation with the newcomer. Aki waved and went over to Ryuu, checking in on him before walking back to Shirayuki and Kihal. Masaru was with Obi, standing behind Shirayuki.