2. The Things We Do

"Aki-san," Ryuu knocked on the bookshelf closest to where she was standing, making her jump.

"Ah, Ryuu!" She smiled, closing the book she was reading. "What is it?"

He looked down at the pile of books surrounding her. "I heard from the Imperial Guards that there was a 'Red-haired Shirayuki-dono' here for Kiki-san, Mitsuhide-san, Prince Zen, or Princess Aki."

"Shirayuki?" Aki tilted her head. "Did she just enter the castle?"

Ryuu shrugged, making Aki frown a bit and look at the books spread on the floor. She would have to put these back before she went to see Shirayuki. Ryuu noticed her expression.

"Do you want me to help you?"

"Please."

-

She ran through the halls as fast as she could, her long skirt held up for mobility. Aki turned a corner and kept on running but skidded to a stop when a familiar red passed by her peripheral vision. She turned and saw Shirayuki and Zen.

"Zen-niisama! Shirayuki!" She called breathily.

They both turned and Shirayuki smiled. "Aki!"

"I heard that you came to visit," she grabbed Shirayuki's hands, "it's been a while!"

Before Shirayuki could respond, Zen held a finger up his lips, telling them to be quiet as he looked around the corner. They heard familiar voices close by and Zen clicked his tongue.

"She's not in the guest room, nor in the garden." Mitsuhide came around the corner and saw the three of them standing there.

Aki gave her brother a long stare as he avoided her and Mitsuhide's gazes. "... Did you ditch your duties again?"

He ignored her question and turned to Mitsuhide with a big, fake smile, pointing in the other direction. "So you caught up already? Well, it's your turn to run now."

"Uwah!" Mitsuhide cried in mock surprise. "Kiki! He's trying to drive me away!"

Kiki ignored Mitsuhide and turned to Shirayuki. "It's rare if you to come here, Shirayuki."

"Ah, I'm about to head out of town though," she smiled, making Zen turn his head to her. "I remembered that Zen told me to tell him these things so..."

"Don't do it on the day of though!" He cried. Aki looked behind Zen to see Mitsuhide sulking, leaning his forehead on the wall.

"You okay, Mitsuhide?" She asked, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Zen is so mean," he muttered, "he always avoids his work and then when cornered, works himself to exhaustion and I have to take care of him though all of that."

Aki giggled. "Don't worry, Zen-niisama is smart and he knows how to do his job."

Mitsuhide sighed again. "I guess you're right."

They turned their heads to Zen who started walking away. "At first, I planned on sneaking out of the castle to accompany you, but I guess I'll just have to see you off at the port."

"Can I come?" Aki asked, hopping up and down. "I finished my duties today, so I'm free."

"At least someone did their work." Kiki said, her stare boring into Zen's head.

-

"Ne, ne, Shirayuki," Aki asked as they walked to the port. Both Zen and Aki were wearing normal clothing than their usual royal outfits to conceal their identity. "You used to be a pharmacist, right?"