3. Trial and Error

A few weeks passed and Aki was busy with her studying and helping the pharmacy prepare for the Pharmacy Apprentice Exam. Shirayuki didn't visit as much these past few weeks as well because she was studying. But today was the day where examinees enter the palace and take the exam.

"Princess," Garack popped her head out of the back room, "you're free to go; we're pretty much done here."

Aki threw her hands up in excitement. "Yes! I'll come back tomorrow morning to see the results!"

"I'll be expecting you," Garack smiled, watching Aki run out of the room, most likely running to say bye to Ryuu.

She made her way to the little pharmacist, knocking on the door before sliding it open. She looked around and didn't see him so she peeked under his working table past the cloth covering the area and found him taking a little nap.

She smiled and whispered, "I'll see you tomorrow," and quietly left the office.

Aki walked down the castle halls, greeting maids and guards as they passed by. She heard loud chatter below and looked down at the courtyard to see a bunch of villagers here to take the exam. She hummed, looking around for red hair. When she didn't see Shirayuki, she guessed that Kiki met up with her and went to find them.

She asked around, and they led her to the area near Zen's office. She found Zen and Mitsuhide looking at the bulletin board for announcements. But before she can call out to then she heard a familiar voice call Zen's name out. The Prince and his aide moved to the open arch and looked down.

"Shirayuki!" Zen called, a smile appearing on his face.

Aki quickly made her way beside them and looked down, ginning and waving at the two young women standing at the courtyard. "Hi, Shirayuki!"

Zen jumped down, startling Mitsuhide. Aki couldn't jump down, sadly. She was wearing her royal outfit, and it was not fit for jumping since she was wearing a gown. She quickly ran down the stairs to meet up with them. She stood next to Kiki, panting a little.

"What's up?" Zen asked Shirayuki. "You have the exam now, right?"

"Yeah," Shirayuki nodded, "I just wanted to see you for a bit."

Aki made eye contact with Kiki and they both raised their eyebrows. Mitsuhide had jumped down as well and landed behind Aki.

"Kiki! Great! You found her with no trouble."

"I ambushed her at the gate." Kiki said with a straight face as always.

"Like a kidnapper, huh..." Zen sent them blank looks, which they ignored, before turning to Shirayuki with a smile. "Are you nervous?"

"No...? Not really...?"

"She's nervous," Aki whispered to the two aides who nodded in agreement.

"Not much, huh...?" Shirayuki reached out and squeezed Zen's hand.

Zen's eyes widened and Shirayuki pulled away, clenching her fist in determination. "Okay!"

Zen blushed and Aki grinned at Kiki and Mitsuhide. Slowly but surely, their affection was showing with the two of them not even knowing.

Mitsuhide made his way to Zen, wrapping an arm around his shoulders. "All the applicants stay in the palace during the time of the exam, right?"

Shirayuki nodded. "Yeah, I'm staying here. I wonder what they'll be asked to do in the exam! Do you know, Zen?"

"Ah, I don't," Zen glanced at Aki. "But Aki might."

"Eh? Aki-chan would?"

"Yeah, she helps the pharmacy out all the time," Zen explained, grinning. "She suddenly got interested in medicinal plants and started talking to the Head Pharmacist, asking questions. When she was seven, she was already helping the pharmacy out and was even spotted reading books on medicine all day, every day."