Chapter 03 - Living Dead

The Higher moon shone upon Irex and Levii was lurking around the village, the dragon had wrecked the village and headed to the mountain, but Levii was still cautious. She wanted to be sure before making her move. Right now she was on a cliff observing Irex and so far nothing made sense to her. When she arrived, Irex had been trashed, but the dragon was still around, like it was waiting. She sent a man back towards the garrison, to inform them about the situation, while she continued her watch. Then, around an hour later it moved, and trashed around a bit again then moved away. It was as if the dragon had a purpose. She knew the dragon had left and the only way to be sure about its absence was when the lesser predators arrive on the scene. Then a few moments later she heard a howl, it was time to move.

"Twenty of you follow me, we are moving."

Back in the village, Hedge had collapsed due to blood loss and fatigue, Drees was crying badly. She only made sniffing sounds because her sister had told her to be quiet, yet she could not stop crying. A dragon collapsed the Western Gate, then a guy crawled into the watchtower and in front of her, was bleeding to death, she was scared and could not do anything but watch and cry.

Finally, her trembling and crying ceased and she kept staring at Hedge. She knew who he was, rather she realized he was the dwarf's son. An immediate jolt of strength made her stand up and she ran to the next room of the watchtower. There was girl lying, unconscious. Drees immediately grabbed onto her.

"Laila, open your eyes! Wake up! Laila!" She started shaking her violently, yet to no avail. Drees knew Laila since she was a babe, Laila and Hedge were of the same age and knew each other. But the reason she was waking her was something else.

When the dragon attacked, her sister and Laila came to rescue her. Her sister went for the mines but since everyone went towards the mines, it caused a stampede and Laila took Drees towards the Watchtower which had a cellar, but unfortunately, it was locked. So, Laila tried hiding Drees in the closet but due to the shaking the dragon caused a heavy armour fell upon her and she was knocked cold. Because the dragon was around Drees didn't try waking her up and couldn't lift her due to her small build. But now the circumstances had changed, the dragon had left and Hedge was breathing his last.

"Laila! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!" She suddenly looked around the room and found the pail of water that soldiers used for god knows what. There was a mug in the water, so she took the water and splashed the water over Laila's face. Laila responded and immediately woke up.

"Wh-What?" Her breathing was ragged, eyes full of confusion, "Drees? What happened to me?"

"First, Hedge is the next room, dying, he needs your help!"

Laila eyes widened due to surprise, she instantly stood up and with wobbly legs, ran in the next room. There she found Hedge but he was nothing like she remembered. His bones were no longer in the right place, he was bathed in blood from head to toe and he was paler than a dead man; but above all, as she put her ear near his heart, she heard nothing. His heart was silent. She immediately turned both her hands to him, and a strange glow came out of her hands.

This was reason Drees went to wake Laila - she had the gift of saints. Though healing magic could only heal wounds, but according to legends, a Saint was capable of growing lost organs, nullifying poison coursing through blood and even bestowing life in dying people. The tavern owner, Laila's father, hid Laila's power from others as she would be sought by nobles of Elradon and abused. So, he took measures to keep her safe in the village, only Vizim and a few elders knew about this. Although, she had such an ability, one day she went out with the village herbalist and howlers attacked. They were surrounded and the herbalist killed. When they closed in on Laila, Hedge arrived out of nowhere and saved her. Apparently he was with Hilt, looking for a certain ore around mine; at that point Laila decided she was in his debt, one she intended to payback.