chapter eleven

authors note: listen to your fav melancholic song, i recommend 'somewhere only we know' by rhianne or 'cardigan' by the queen t. swift <3

"I'm so full, but I still want to eat!" Adeline growned as she touched her stomach. She had eaten bruschetta with tomatoes and mozzarella as an appetizer; the main dish—Bistecca Alla Fiorentina, and a dessert; perfectly made tiramisu.

Adeline had told Charles to take her someplace not fancy, which was practically impossible. Charles brought her to an Italian restaurant, but different than the one Pierre had picked for lunch. This one was slightly more elegant, but at least it wasn't crowded. Adeline thought that a bit of fanciness in her life didn't have to be bad. Plus, the food was absolutely delicious.

They talked about everything—racing, F1, Adeline's life as a law student, music and finding out that they both play the piano, and also analyzing Gossip Girl. The conversation went so smoothly, it felt like they had known each other their whole lives. It was somehow comforting, yet scary at the same time.

"Didn't you mind eating Italian cuisine again?" Charles laughed, eating his stracciatella gelato.

"Oh, please. I basically live on Italian food. And caffeine," Adeline chuckled.

"I agree," Charles nodded with a smile on his lips. When a waiter was passing them, Charles gently stopped him. "Je voudrais payer s'il vous plait."

"Oh, and please tell the waiter that we want to split the bill," Adeline said, observing the conversation between Charles and the waiter in a tuxedo. She understood their French, but she didn't want to show off her non-existent French skills.

"No way," Charles shook his head. "I invited you," he continued, watching Adeline's disapproving look on her face.

"But I–..."

"Anyway, what do you want to do now?" Charles interrupted the blonde woman. He knew that she'd try to complain and insist on paying. When Adeline figured there was no way to talk Charles out of it, she sighed a little.

"Well, you showed me the Port Hercules, but is there a place that is special for you? I'd love to see that," Adeline sipped from her red wine, which stained her lips a little. She wasn't wearing any lipstick, but the wine gave her lips a bit of a ruby shade.

Charles couldn't help but smile. "I know just the place."

Charles and Adeline left the restaurant, and they went for a walk along the coastline. Adeline was enjoying the view of the sea waves hitting rocks and the salty smell in the air. The trees and their leaves were making a calming, gentle swishing sound. It was already dark since it was nearly 10 p.m., but streetlamps were lightening up the path. It was beautiful; it was strange that there weren't any people. Charles explained to Adeline that mainly locals knew this place.

After ten minutes of walking, Charles pointed his finger at a bench almost hidden in the trees. When they sat down, they had a beautiful sea view along with a view of La Condamine which was so bright at night. It looked breathtaking, and Adeline thought to herself that she could get used to this.

"This is a place that I visit a lot. Just to think and be by myself," Charles said, breaking the silence as Adeline admired the place. He thought it was amazing, too; but right now, he couldn't get his eyes off her. Suddenly, even the beauty of his homeland couldn't compare to her radiant smile.

"The view is beautiful," Adeline breathed out as she finally stopped looking at the view. "What was it like, growing up here?" She glanced at Charles.

He shrugged his shoulders. "It was amazing, but I was rarely at home."