chapter forty-four

tw: abuse (beginning and end is marked by 🏁)
please, if you don't feel comfortable, skip it. it's only a small part. <3

🎶 matilda by harry styles
or
what was i made for by billie eilish 🎶

"We're here," Pierre breathed out, his voice quivering slightly as he cast a quick glance at Adeline sitting in the passenger seat.

Silently, Adeline stared at the house that had once been her home—a place she hadn't laid eyes on in nearly six years, just like her parents. Taking a deep breath, she released the grip on her blonde hair that she had been twirling during the entire ride from the airport.

Adeline had told Pierre about her plans before he had left for the United States and Mexico, and he had immediately offered to go with Charles and Adeline as an emotional support. That's why the three of them currently sat inside a rented car, gazing at Adeline's old house with its weathered brown fence.

Pierre shifted his gaze to Charles, who was seated in the back. Charles tenderly placed his hand on Adeline's arm. "Do you need a minute?" He asked softly.

Charles' voice seemed to snap Adeline out of her trance-like state. She swiftly shook her head. "No. I'm ready."

"Okay. I'll wait for you here," Pierre said with a soft smile. He refused to step into the house as he was sure he wouldn't keep his temper calm. He knew that Charles was the calm company Adeline truly needed right now. "Good luck, Addy," he leaned in for a hug.

"Thank you, Pierre," Adeline murmured, giving him a gentle pat on the back before pulling away. Pierre had been there for her since day one—quite literally. He had stood by her through thick and thin, and the fact that he had insisted on coming to Liverpool was heartwarming.

Adeline stepped out of the car with Charles' help as she decided to wear high heels to accompany her shirt and a pencil skirt. The closer they were to the front door, the more she felt a lump forming in her throat.

Her parents knew she was coming. Adeline had sent her mother a simple text with the announcement of her visit. She hadn't even asked her if they had time. Her mother had responded with apparent joy in the texts, but Adeline had made it clear that her visit wasn't for cheerful reasons.

"I'm here for you. Whatever happens," Charles took Adeline's hand, intertwining their fingers. Adeline looked up at him, seeing the way Charles was warmly smiling at her. It was as if his smile was made of honey, so sweet and golden. "Je t'aime," he whispered.

"Je t'aime," Adeline said, tightly clutching Charles' hand.

She cleared her throat, then boldly knocked on the front door, the sound echoing through the air. From behind the closed door, she could hear the unmistakable noise of footsteps and hushed whispers.

Adeline was about to see her parents after almost six years. Almost. Six. Years.

She wasn't exactly excited—maybe just a little, but guilt overshadowed her emotions. Adeline couldn't help feeling guilty about being even slightly excited to reunite with them after such a long time. After all, they had raised her. And even though the shadow of their hurtful actions made the memories of her childhood gray, she knew that there had been good moments. However, she couldn't get past the way they had treated her. She simply couldn't. And sometimes, she would feel guilty about that as well.

Adeline understood that not everyone was fortunate enough to have both parents in their lives. That some people had lost their parent like Charles, or maybe they had divorced—like Hazel's parents. But Adeline knew she had every right to be mad at them for failing her at the only job they had—trusting her and protecting her.