chapter forty-one

🎶 i wanna be yours by arctic monkeys 🎶

"Ready to go?" Adeline heard Charles' voice from the living room, and she swiftly readjusted her golden earrings before casting a final glance in Charles' bathroom mirror.

She was wearing a dress with a floral print, making it a perfect choice while balancing elegance and suitability for a night out. She knew her black high heels would feel deadly by the end of the night, but she didn't care.

"I am!" Adeline called out loudly, but her attention shifted as she caught sight of Charles approaching her in the mirror. A smile instantly illuminated her rose-painted lips.

Charles wrapped his arms around Adeline from behind, gently pressing his warm lips against her cold neck. "You look absolutely beautiful, ma chérie," he murmured, the mixture of his voice and the touch of his lips sending shivers down her spine.

"But if you keep doing this, I won't be ready to leave," Adeline breathed out, her body reacting to Charles' lips trailing along her neck. His hands, tracing delicate patterns on her hips, sent waves of fireworks coursing through her. Adeline shut her eyes, her neck finding a resting place against Charles' beating chest.

"Do you want me to stop?" The playfulness in Charles' low, raspy voice drove Adeline to the edge of madness.

Opening her eyes, she turned around to meet Charles' gaze. He was wearing a tight black T-shirt, revealing his toned body. Adeline locked her gaze with Charles, noticing the way his jade eyes suddenly darkened with desire. Adeline's attention then wandered to his plump lips before returning to meet his intense gaze once more.

Just as Adeline wanted to grab Charles by his T-shirt and break the distance between them, the moment was shattered by a series of loud knocks on the door and a thick French accent. "I'm here, you guys! Are we ready to leave?"

"Seriously, what's wrong that guy?!" Charles threw his hands in the air, running his fingers through his chestnut hair in frustration. "We'll be there in a minute, Pierre!"

"He really has a fucking radar," Adeline huffed, rolling her eyes in annoyance. She cleared her throat and quickly reached for her purse, but at that moment, a realization struck her. "Charles, wait! Don't open the door!" She almost yelled, but she needed to stop Charles from opening the door to Pierre.

Charles turned around to Adeline, letting out a sigh. "I don't want him here either, but he'll get annoying."

"I can hear you!" Pierre's voice echoed through the closed door. Adeline grabbed Charles by his wrist, dragging him to the living room, where Pierre couldn't hear them.

"No, it's not that. Before we leave, I want to give you my birthday gift for you," Adeline explained, and a warm smile appeared on Charles' lips.

"Ma chérie, you truly didn't have to," he shook his head.

"What kind of a girlfriend would that make me?" Adeline chuckled, and Charles couldn't help but notice the way the word girlfriend was rolling off her tongue so easily. "Do you remember our first dinner? Here, in Monaco," Adeline asked.

Waves of memories washed over Charles. He had fallen for Adeline the very first moment he had laid his eyes on her, but he had fallen for her even harder after that dinner. "Of course."

"Well, you took me to your favorite spot, to the bench," Adeline continued, taking a deep breath before speaking again. "You told me about your dad. That he didn't have the chance to be proud of you. Do you remember what I said in response?"

"Your dad was proud of you your whole life. I'm sure he was as proud to see your first steps as he would have been proud of your successful career. He was your father. He was proud of every single thing you did," Charles nodded, repeating Adeline's words by heart. He remembered them clearly—as if they were imprinted in his head.