(7) Locking Lips and a Moment Just Like This

Shit.

Out of all the people he could've encountered, Kamisato Ayato was the last thing he wanted to see. Well, "see" would be an overstatement, for even though the light behind him illuminated his familiar silhouette, all the commissioner looked like was a grey blob. A pretty grey blob.

He could vaguely make out an obviously different garment that Ayato was wearing, as opposed to his usual white suit. This time, it was a kimono, wrapped neatly around his slender body. It was a neat fit too, for his posture was relaxed, rather than uptight.

The light shining behind him was from the open door. Of course, no one in their sane mind would go out of their way to wait for their worker on break during the late hours. The only prominent explanation was that Ayato saw him return. Was it a camera Thoma didn't know about? Most likely, since he never dug into the security features of the estate. He'd spend his days accompanying the siblings and wiping dust off furniture, the last thing he'd worry about was the surveillance. 

But that wasn't the point anymore. Ayato was standing just a few feet ahead of him, where Ayaka would usually greet him. Thoma felt his fingers go numb while gripping the sleeve of his bag, trying to get a hold of some kind of stimulant to make sure he doesn't lose complete consciousness on the spot.

"Thoma?"

He slightly turned his head to his left, where his bag was carelessly slipping off his shoulders. Swiftly, he shoved his hand in it, feeling around the half-empty thing to grab his phone. Eventually, his fingertips felt the cold glass and he immediately pulled his electronic out, tumbling around the buttons to unlock the screen.

The lock screen flashed a bright light in his eyes and after a brief moment of adjusting to the exposure, he managed to read a couple of numbers on the digital clock.

1:53 AM.

No wonder even the commissioner himself had to greet him in person. It was way beyond the promised return hours he mentioned to Ayaka. It's only natural someone would grow wary of his absence. The odd factor was that someone was Ayato.

"Ah--.." He muttered, turning off the phone and struggling to drop it back into the bag. "..I completely lost track of time, you must forgive m-"

He felt a sudden impact on his shoulders, stumbling back just an inch as his eyes searched for an explanation. His senses came into order as he realized Ayato was right in front of him with a single hand placed on his shoulder.

The commissioner's presence in it itself was a breathtaking experience. Each day, if he ever had the chance to work for him eye-to-eye was a day to remember. Except now, with his head fuzzy and lacking any sober thoughts. The warmth radiating from Ayato's body made his intoxicated state feel way heavier than it was initially.

"Have you been drinking?" Came a dawning question from the latter, his eyes inspecting Thomas's for any clear signs of alcohol. His head was mere inches from his face, yet distant enough to respectfully admire his being.

Thoma clenched his teeth. There was no comfort in this situation. Not after the accusation the twins set him in. The conversations in his thoughts could only jump from one vivid image to the other like ping-pong balls against a wall. A human mind is trully an maginitive tool.

He shook his head, leaning his back further from the commissioner while breaking off the eye contact he got himself into. "J-just a couple of drinks, it was a treat..." Even though it was a very simple explanation, the slurring of his tongue told a completely different tale.

With doubt, the commissioner's eyebrow slightly raised up. "How many glasses?" He questioned the man, slightly leaning his head to the side to get a good look into his eyes.