(9) "Escape With Me"

2:57 PM

Thoma yawned, rubbing his eye with a free hand while the other seized cleaning the windows. As requested by the commissioner, he had started the task of cleaning his office without a spec of dust left behind. Of course, an extended period of time in complete silence can have an impact on one's psychological being, which Thoma regretted not taking a pair of earphones with him.

Autumn was starting to show its true colors. Even though the sun was up and coming across the sky, days started to feel dull, a long side with the weather. Thoma sighed, reaching his hand out to open the window just a bit. Cold or not, fresh air is a must.

The blonde threw a now dirty rag over his shoulder, stepping back to admire the work he finished. He picks up the water bucket, unbothered by the weight,  with the intention to leave the room as per usual. Just as he turns around with a faint whistle escaping his lips, he throws a final look around the spacious office.

Everything remains the same.  A dull office for a dull facade, a mural he struggled to decipher.  And now, with recent events infesting his mind like an active colony, his path was blocked, leaving him at a standstill against someone as mighty as Ayato.

He shook his head, picking up his pace to leave the room as soon as possible. His work was done, and that's the most important bit. All that is left of his day is any side hustle in the establishment itself, or errands to run at the last minute.

Leaving the room and closing the door shut behind him, an unusual white robe of sorts immediately greeted his eye, evoking a stagger from the sudden view.

Yae Miko, the Guuji of the Narukami shrine, stood just a few feet in front of him, walking alongside the wall of the hallway. Divine as always, she had her hands tucked into the sleeves of her ceremonial kimono, while her steps, were utterly flawless. She pursed her lips, a mischievous flame flickering in her sunset eyes. "Knock knock~" She cooed. Her very being seemed completely out of place, and she appeared more of an illuminated kitsune, rather than a real being.

Thoma stood dead in his tracks, mouth slightly agape. Disbelief shuddered his thoughts until he finally snapped into consciousness. "Miss Guuji?- I.." He proceeded to grab the rag off his shoulder, preparing for a formal bow.

The woman shook her head, the unnatural pink locks bouncing effortlessly with her movement. "Don't bother with formalities. I'm just early to the party." She brought her hand up, placing a finger right under her lips, dyed a peach pink.

Confuzzled, Thoma blinked. "Par... " He huffed. "The meeting, correct? I was informed that it wasn't due until a few hours later."

A giggle, one containing a sound melody, echoed through the vacant hallway, which seemed to be absent of any other soul. "Perfect, then I'll have more time to familiarise myself with the commissioner's object of interest.~" Her eyes inspected Thoma, uncomfortably standing in his place.

Feeling like a little child and better yet, as if he was put in the spotlight like a trinket in an auction, Thoma stepped back. "I'm sorry, I find it hard to follow..." He muttered. Was it the ominous aura she possessed, or her very being that made him nervous?

The Guuji had her eyes already wandering around the walls of the estate like her intention was to unsettle him. "Worry not, child. Souls of those who are bound with strings eternity have set for them, have a hard time severing." As if recounting a quote from a fated romance novel, her voice silenced. Someone didn't need to hear it.

"Miss Guuji, I do hope you're not troubling my dear friend." Like a breath of fresh air, Ayakas voice interrupted the interference. Both people turned their attention towards her, their eyes feasting upon her graceful face hidden behind a fan. One which Thoma was familiar with.