Chapter 1 - The encounter

As I recalled the night I had moved out of my orphanage, I realized I had zoned out for minutes already and there was a constant ring of the doorbell. I could smell the pizza even before I could open the door and that's when I knew my lunch was here. I hurriedly paid and closed the door as I murmured "I must find a job soon" to myself. I mean I can't stay like this for long and the money mother Dorothy gave me was almost consumed mostly by half of school fees and I couldn't afford to ask for more.

 I had decided to move somewhere far away. So here I was. My first day at my university went well. I made a friend named Violet whom I had met once before while she was on vacation near my orphanage. So I adapted to the university quite quickly. 

With the money left out I went to get some groceries and decide about my job on the way to pay the rest of my school fees. As I walked down the street I noticed a man slap a kid right across his face. Blood started running down the poor kid's face. Being an orphan without parents I could never tolerate bullying. I ran as fast as I could towards the boy, asking him if he was okay. 

I got up and turned to notice a young man. Probably of age between 20 to 23. He looked so.. Good. I mean in a spunky way. His comely eyes, jet black hair, perfect jawline, veiny, strong hands.. His fashion sense was out of this world. Jesus! I should stop. But this man looked like.. A piece of art.

 Yet I yelled "Hey! Do you get what you're doing? You're hurting this kid! He is bleeding for god's sake! Are you aware of what's happening?! You look like a gentleman but is this what you do? Don't you feel at least a little guilty for hurting a kid? Huh?" I was enraged for a reason. He does nothing but look into my eyes as I question him, the six-feet-one lusty man in front of me "Can you please answer?? I'm tryna understand what's happening here okay?" yet no response but the same uninterrupted gaze and a smirk. I exhale out of anger as he, with the same untouched smirk, moves aside to make way to a little eight-year-old boy who's also hurt much worse than the kid. The child held a tiny kitten, whose leg was bleeding a lot too. I was devastated to see the little kid and stood there without a movement. 

That's when a husky voice replied "If that's not called a punishment I don't know what is." That's when I came back to my senses and ran to the closest medical store. The man's focus on me didn't change at all. His intrigued eyes ran behind me. I came back with a medical kit and some ice. "Promise me you will think from others point of view too before you do something from now on. You know it hurts ten times more for him than you. Do you realize that? Now go home" I said as I wiped off the last bit of the blood off the kid whose nose was bleeding and gave him some ice, feeling bad for him as he ran away. I started wiping blood off of various parts of the other kid's face. "Is it me or do you not have a name?" I laughed.

" Luke." he replied with a soft voice. "Haha, Luke! You know how sweet your voice is? So sweet that it wouldn't budge a soul. But sometimes you have to." I continued as I started to cover wounds of the kitten " You have to stand up for yourself. Tell it out to people if they're wrong. Or maybe call out for help. Be yourself but give people what they deserve. You'll understand it once you start encountering it, hmm?" Luke shyly nods to what I say. "Haha, now let's keep the story of what happened for later huh? Let's take this kitten home shall we?" Luke's face suddenly goes uneasy. 

Once again the sculpture which was left undisturbed watching my every move takes his turn "He's an orphan. I don't think cats are allowed over there." with his level of rudeness my face goes red " then how 'bout you adopt him heh? He's a sweet lil guy!" I say as I caress Luke's head "I don't think he'll ever cause you a problem huh?" When I see no response I tend to glare by nature upon which he replies " I'll think about it" with a mulish expression. Luke's saddened face quickly goes happy " really??". When he refuses to respond I immediately reply "Yess! Now you can take her home, cant ya?" Luke's charming smile replies as the other man gives an interested smile. "Yes he even has a little bath tub you know, tell me you're coming too" I stop to have a gaze at him, he bows his head and raises his eyebrow signing in affirmation. "Let's go!" I say. As I start walking at the same pace as Luke, who is hurriedly moving with the kitten already, someone holds my hand and pulls me closer towards them. You already know who it is.

"My name?" he says.

"Huh?" There's a moment of silence.

"Wont you ask my name?"

"Umm.. sorry for yelling the other time" I change the topic

"Not even ask, if I was alright?" He raises his brows with a serious face.

"What? Are you alright? I didn't really know what was happening. A-and I'm sorry again"

"Hmm?" This time his smile was different. He wore an upside down smile. I had butterflies in my tummy. but, I still have no words for his reply

"And how exactly are you going to compensate for it?" he smirks

"How about.. umm..."

"Listening" he strikes.

"Umm.. I'll help you take care of the kitten" I chuckle a little

"That's it?"

"Yeah, maybe Luke too.."

"I'll remember what you said" he says as I nod, breaking free from him and as I begin to run towards Luke he says "how about we visit the orphanage to sign some documents first?"

I stop and turn around ecstatically. "You heard it right," he replies.

"I'll tell Luke!" I say as I run towards Luke. He titters and follows behind.