Chapter 3 - A New Feeling?

We walked a mile or so to the man's house. I was eluded in talking to Luke about things like his orphanage, how old he is and all sorts of questions about him as the man overtook us. The next second I saw him was when he was opening the gates of a colossal House. A mansion?!?. It almost looked monumental. Was this man working? Did he have a rich dad? All such thoughts were wandering around my head. "Need a red carpet arranged for you, Miss president?" The man said laughing. I was spellbound to respond to anything, and what made it worse was his car collection. I entered the huge manor-like house, still amazed by its structure. "Too big for someone who lives alone, isn't it?" Luke said as he noticed my face. "Lives alone?" I was more amazed. "Yea" The man replied. "And guess what he bought this house by himself " Luke added. 

The man gave no reaction but slipped into the kitchen to get something to eat. Luke gave me a tour to the house. Looks like he had been to this house a number of times before. "You've explored every single corner huh?" Luke replied "Not really, I haven't had much time, honestly. But this place is scary sometimes. I feel like I'll need someone to tag along a few times." Out of all of those, what caught my eyes was his garden. All the beautiful flowers and the butterflies just fit perfectly into the picture. Amber ran into the garden as soon as she saw it.

The day was about to end. I had to go home because I had to go to the university the next day. I had spent enough time with Luke, Amber.. and that man 'with a mansion'. He still looked like a stone, or a locked door ,on a land without a locksmith, who's keys don't exist. As though he was a grim reaper. With a better looking face. But he was kind enough to adopt the kid. That's what made him bad but somehow good. Wonder what his occupation is. He must be earning well to buy that huge house all by himself. By the time I had thought all of this the sun was sunken and I had reached my room. I collected the last eviction paper with a sigh as I entered the room. I was tired already and the snacks I ate with Luke acted as my dinner for tonight. I called up the orphanage to inquire about Luke's stuff to be delivered to the man's house by the next day. After that I went to bed early.

 It was surely a long day. I tried to sleep. But all I could think of was the man. His eyes. The way he looked at me. It felt safe, warm. What was he thinking as he stared? What did he feel? What did he gain as he looked into my eyes? That's when my phone rang. I picked the unknown call. It was the husky voice, again. "Ah it's me, save my number" and the call was cut. I didn't get to respond. What was happening? What was this new feeling?

Butterflies? I always believed that one day they'd fly away so I'd rather keep them away. Is it worth it? First of all, is it true? All sorts of questions like every time ran across my mind. I decided to stop thinking so much. "What should I save the number as?" I asked myself. My fingers automatically typed out 'Grim Reaper'. It felt right. I put my phone to charge and sunk into the bed, Still thinking of him. But then it struck me. What am I thinking? I'm just making shit up. All my life. I never thought I would have my moment. And it's been like that and I don't think anything can change it now. I would wanna keep it that way too.

It was morning when I realized I had fallen asleep thinking about this. I had woken up early. I had the last slice of pizza left from yesterday, considering it my breakfast, and headed to the university. The classes were pretty boring. Violet had chosen different subjects Which basically left me alone in class. Full of people but yet alone. It was break time soon. The day had been so damn long, probably because I was bored. I did nothing but sit and watch others have canteen food. The minimal amount left with me was supposed to be used on food, water and maintenance. I couldn't afford to lose the money to expensive stuff. Violet offered me some food but I, like every time, denied it. She knew what my problem was but I still decided to lie "I'm on a serious diet bro". That's when I was called to the head office. I had visitors. That surely shocked me. I knew nobody here. I don't think anybody would visit me, unless it was mother Dorothy. But even she wouldn't visit me on this day of the week.

I anyways decided to check up on who it was. Seeing nobody familiar I entered the head office with a "you probably misunderstood that it was me miss" to the receptionist. That's when I saw two familiar faces with a huge height difference. "Hey" Luke waved, running towards me. My eyes then moved towards the man, still with an unknown name. "Hope you remember what you promised yesterday" he said, handing over the ordered food to me. Luke ran at the sight of the playground. I sat on the visitor seat and began to eat. "Did you have your breakfast?" he sat down beside me, his facial expressions didn't rest anymore. When he didn't get an answer he chose to observe rather than question me again. "Thankyou" I said, only to get a "Let's go home" as the reply. "I can't have classes to attend". He didn't care to listen to what I said "Luke we're going home". Luke pulled me along.