«One»

𝓣𝔀𝓮𝓷𝓽𝔂-𝓯𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼 𝓫𝓮𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓮
Finley

"You'll never guess what my parents told me last night," I said to my friends.

My best friend Kwan kept typing away at his laptop, completely oblivious to what I just said. Kwan, his younger sister, and I were all doing homework together in my room. We all had our headphones on to focus, but I just remembered something important I never told them.

I waved my hand in front of Kwan's face. "Earth to Kwan."

He removed his headphones. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

I grinned. "You'll never guess what my parents told me last night."

His brows scrunched together. "I have no idea.

"My parents are going to foster kids, starting this month."

His brows shot to his hairline. "Did they talk to you before making this decision?"

"They're 'conversation with me' consisted of them telling me that they're doing it. Which means I got no say in the decision."

"You're the one that has to live with this random stranger, though," he said incredulously.

"What random stranger is moving in with you?" Kwan's younger sister, Dae, interjected.

Kwan turned to his sister. "Fin's parents are going to foster kids, apparently."

Dae quirked a brow. "And this is a problem, why?"

Kwan said, "Because Fin's parents are going to bring some weird kid, maybe even kids, into their house without even telling him."

"I don't see the problem with this." Dae looked unamused. "So many kids need a home and Fin's parents are usually gone, but they're good people."

I thought for a moment. My rich ass parents could definitely afford to bring in some kid that needs a home, and for the most part, I didn't really care. The other part of me was worried that this new kid would take away what little attention that my parents paid to me.

"I know, I don't blame them for trying to help kids out that need a home. I just wish they would've run it by me first."

"Fair, I would be upset about that too," Dae said.

"Why are they even fostering, anyway?" Kwan asked.

I shrugged. "My parents didn't say why. I'd like to say they're doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, but it's probably just a publicity stunt since my dad's reelection is coming up." My dad is the county sheriff, and my mom is a defense attorney. So image is very important to them.

Dae ranted about rich privilege in Korean. I didn't know much Korean, but I caught a few words(mostly swear words) whenever Kwan and Dae spoke it.

Kwan rolled his eyes at me, and I grinned back. He turned back to Dae, and said in English, "Hey, it's still a good thing, even if they're doing it for the wrong reason."

She considered it. "Fair, but still what I said was true."

"What did you say?" I asked.

Kwan groaned. "Don't restart the tangent, Fin. You should know this."

I gave him a teasing grin. "Dae, I'd love to hear your tangent."

She repeated her tangent about publicity, politics, and privilege. She's very into activism, which Kwan finds annoying, and I find interesting.

After she finished explaining her rant to me, she asked, "Are your parents going to foster a specific age group?"

"I think they're planning on taking in older kids. Like teenagers."

"That's going to be tough," Dae said.

I shrugged. "That's my parents problem, not mine."

Kwan asked, "When are they starting?"

"They said a social worker would call soon if they had a kid that needed fostering, so they've been trying to get a room ready if they get a call."

Dae said, "Oo, can I see?"

I shrugged. "Sure."

We all got up and headed down the hall to one of our guest rooms. My parents painted it a light gray, and put some colorful abstract art on the walls. They left the furniture bare, except for the bed, which they put a white comforter set on. They said it was good to leave the room mostly bare since it was less overstimulating, but it looked so boring to me.

Dae wandered about the room, and Kwan flopped down on the bed.

Dae sent him a glare. "That's someone's bed. Get off."

Kwan gave her a grin. "Yeah, and that someone is me."

Dae attempted to throw him off the bed, and failed miserably. She argued with him in rapid-fire Korean, and threatened him with a pillow.

He held his hands up in surrender. "Okay, I'm getting up."

Kwan got out of the bed, and Dae flung the pillow at him. "Now, remake the bed."

He grumbled under his breath and fixed the bedding. "There, happy?"

Dae gave a triumphant smile.

Kwan gave her a smirk and flipped her off.

She glared at him. "Dick."

He grinned and glanced around the room. "This room feels like a jail cell."

I explained, "It's better for the room to be blank since it's less overstimulating."

"And it allows the kids to decorate it with trinkets from home if they have any," Dae added.

"I see." Kwan put his headphones back on. "I'm going to get back to my homework."

He started humming and left the room.

I took one last look around the room, before I left. Kwan was right, it felt so empty in here.

I headed back to my room and perused my many squishmallows. I grabbed a squishmallow that looked like an elephant and took him to the empty room. I put the elephant on the bed and wrote a note on it for whoever we end up fostering.

What Dae said about kids needing a home really hit me, and it made me kind of excited to meet whoever they assign to us.

"That's really sweet of you, Fin," Dae commented.

I shrugged. "Just trying to make our potential foster kid more welcome."

Dae smiled. "Let's get back to our homework."

So we headed back to my room and continued our homework. I found it really difficult to concentrate though because I kept wondering what kind of kid my parents were going to foster. Since they would be around my age they would either be a new friend, or an annoyance. Only time would tell which side of that coin it would be.