«Five»

Sam

As soon as Fin left, I grabbed my backpack, again. I had a few things in there that are sentimental, but I felt awkward pulling them out in front of someone.

I had a movie ticket from the one time my parents actually wanted to go to a movie with me. My stuffed lizard that my dad got me on a work trip before he became a cunt. Also my walkman and tape collection of all my favorite bands.

I had a few other things from my room that I wanted to grab, but I couldn't since my house is still locked down for the crime scene. So for now, I grabbed my favorite things, along with my clothes.

I put my movie ticket and walkman in my desk drawer, and shoved my lizard under a pillow on my bed.

Now that I was done unpacking I checked out the gift basket Hana gave me. It was full of toiletries for my bathroom (my bathroom: how the fuck do I have my own bathroom?), and some snacks. I was still starving after my bag of chips, but I didn't want to eat all of my snacks at once, so I put the rest in an empty drawer in my dresser. Sometimes food was scarce with my parents, so any snacks I got, I stole them, just in case.

"Hey, how are you settling in?" Mindy said from the doorway.

I slammed the snack drawer shut. "I'm settling."

She raised a brow at the drawer, but didn't bring it up. "I'm glad to hear that. How do you like your room?"

I literally couldn't fathom that this was my room. My room is twice as big as my room at home, and my parents and I all had to share the same bathroom, where I had my own bathroom here. There's a bed, a massive dresser, and a chair by the window. It's spacious and a little bland, but still cozy.

"It's great," I said, honestly.

Mindy clapped her hands together. "I'm so glad. Hana and Daniel are great people, and they're going to take wonderful care of you Sam." Tears brimmed in her eyes. Mindy and I have a lengthy history, and I know she's glad that I'm finally out of my parents hellhole. A few years back my parents got CPS called on them, and Mindy came and took me to a group home, which wasn't great, but it was better than home. Now, I had it better than I ever imagined I could, and I couldn't be more grateful.

"I'm so grateful that Hana and Daniel took me in," I murmured.

Mindy smiled. "Me too. You deserve a good family, Sam."

I shrugged, sheepishly. I didn't know whether I agreed with her or not. "I feel like I'm taking another kid's spot that needs them more."

She put her hands on my shoulders. "You deserve to be taken care of, Sam. You've been through enough, already."

I shrugged out of her grasp.

She took her hands away. "Sorry, I know you don't like being touched."

I didn't know what to say, so I just nodded.

"Alright, I'll leave you to it. Everything looks great, and Hana and Daniel are wonderful. I think you're really going to like it here."

"Yeah, me too."

She smiled and left.

After she left, I sat on the chair by my window. I looked out to the street below where kids were riding their bikes. Jealousy flared as I watched them. They're so carefree, like kids should be. Not always tip-toeing around, and second-guessing their every move in case it happens to upset someone.

As much as I wanted to think those days were in the past, I couldn't help but keep my guard up. People can appear entirely normal, but be absolute dicks behind closed doors. I knew that from firsthand experience.

After a while, I heard footsteps coming down the hallway.

Hana appeared in my doorway. "How do you like your room?"

"It's really nice."

She broke out in a wide smile. "I'm so glad you like it. We tried to make it very comforting and minimal, but if you want anything for your room, let us know."

I nodded. "Will do."

That was a lie. I didn't want to burden them with any special requests. Not to mention, I already have everything I needed.

"I appreciate you guys taking me in," I said.

Hana smiled. "I have a way of reading people, and I can tell you're a good kid, Sam."

I shrugged. How could I believe I'm a "good kid" when I possibly murdered my parents?

"Trust me, Sam. You're a good kid," Hana said, like she could read my mind. "And we're going to get to the bottom of this investigation."

Wasn't that hard to get to the bottom of the investigation. I was caught holding the gun that killed my parents, at the scene of the crime. Couldn't be more cut and dry.

"That's tomorrow's problem, for now Fin is going to show you around town."