chapter 2

-harry-

We had spent most of the night talking. Mainly about the potions work and assignments for other classes, but eventually the conversation drifted.

"Why do you act like such a raging cock all the time Malfoy? You aren't actually half bad" He just laughed in response. "I guess I have to be? I don't know. Maybe it was you rejecting my friendship in first year. That was the first time anyone had ever done that."

"That doesn't explain why you still act like that."

"We're creatures of habit I suppose. I got used to acting like that, and I was egged on by my peers." I had to sit with that for a moment. "I suppose you're right. I mean I still acted like a prick in response. Do you remember last year when you leant me a quill and I thought it was cursed?" Draco snorted "Oh my god yes! your face when I handed it to you was priceless! And- ow! why did you hit me?" It was my turn to snort "You deserved it!" Draco placed his hand to his head and fell backwards. "I have been bested! Tell my mother I love her!" He closed his eyes and went limp. By this point I was cackling. "You dramatic bitch" One eye shot open and stared daggers at me "How rude, Potter."

------

At breakfast the next morning I was getting bombarded with questions from Ron and Hermione about my whereabouts this morning. I just prattled off about an early-morning meeting with Dumbledore while looking across the room to where Draco sat. I caught his eye and he flashed a subtle smile in my direction before going back to his conversation with Blaise. Hermione followed my line of sight and caught the smile too. Earning me a dreaded eyebrow raise. I just shrugged and gave her an 'I'll tell you later' look. I knew she would hold me to that. 

In charms, Flitwick droned on and on. My brain barely even registered him as background noise anymore I couldn't stop thinking about last night. Why was he being so open and friendly? Is he really different from first year? Could we be friends? I was snapped from my thoughts by the rustling around me of everyone packing up for lunch. I made my way to the great hall and sat beside Hermione before Draco sauntered over. "We said we'd meet to get ingredients at lunch today. Remember Ha- potter?" Draco sneered. I was caught off guard by his change in demeanour. "Yeah, uh one sec" I stammered grabbing a slice of treacle tart and a ham sandwich. 

------

-draco-

I lead the way out of the hall and down to the potions classroom. Harry followed like a lost and confused puppy. I stopped a few metres short of the classroom, and Harry bumped into me before starting to apologise. "No I'm sorry" I cut him off "I was a dick back there to you" I think we both looked stunned. I never apologised for anything. what the bloody hell did I have to apologise for? "It's uh, it's fine Dracoo- uh Malfoy?" I just laughed and hung my head "Draco is fine, if it's just us that is." Harry nodded in agreement. I lead off into the potions room, Harry following suit. I walked into the storage cupboard and grabbed the powdered unicorn horn. "What else do we need?" I shouted out. I heard a rusting of paper "uh we need powdered moonstone, syrup of hellebore, stewed mandrake and powdered porcupine quills" he shouted back. I went through and found everything we needed and placed the various jars on one of the desks. We both started measuring out what we needed in silence. I could swear Harry was looking at me, but I wanted to focus on measuring. "Right, can you leave a note saying what we took on Snape's desk while I put everything back?" Harry just nodded and produced a piece of parchment and a battered quill from his robes. I rolled my eyes at the state of him and turned back to the storage cupboard.

"Meet me at the room of requirement tonight at eight thirty?"

"Yeah definitely"

I needed to talk to Blaise.

------

-harry-

After today's lessons I slumped next to Hermione in the common room. It was weirdly barren other than us. "Where's Ron?" Her head shot up "Potions assignment with Blaise. That doesn't matter though, tell me everything" she squealed. I started with our meeting in the library and ended with today in the potions classroom. Halfway through I started gushing slightly about how nice he had been in the room of requirement. Hermione lapped up every detail, asking persistent questions and making relentless remarks. I was glad I had someone to gossip with about my recent developments. Hermione looked at the clock and jumped up "Harry it's eight forty five!" she put my potions books and writing equipment in my bag and as good as pushed me out the portrait hole.

I stumbled into the room of requirement at ten to nine. "Where the fuck were you harry? you were meant to be here 20 minutes ago!" I started apologising profusely and set my stuff down next to the copper cauldron on the floor. "I hope you brought you cloak thingy. because you will need to walk me back in it when I have to go back to my dorm past curfew." I just nodded to say that I had and I would walk him back. "Sorry Draco, can we start now?" I asked, quieter than usual. Draco just sighed and nodded "Yeah." he went to put a hand on my shoulder and hesitated before deciding against touching me. 

For nearly two hours we worked on the potion, while we sat and waited for it to brew we started outlining the essay. My job was researching and making rough notes while Draco worked on the introduction. After a while he produced two bottles of pumpkin juice and offered me one. I thanked him and took one of the bottles. I hadn't even noticed that my mouth was dry or how warm it was in the room. I took off my jumper and rolled up my sleeves as I worked. I kept my head down despite the piercing grey eyes boring into me once more, even though the gaze felt different.

------

-draco-

We gathered our things, I took all the vials of potion with me to label and store correctly. Harry pulled out his invisibility cloak and threw it over the two of us. I lead the way to the Slytherin dungeon. We were unbearably close. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up every time he breathed on it. I praised Merlin when we reached the painting. "Thank you for walking me back Harry. Just try to be more punctual from now on." We both grinned at that and I got out from under the cloak and nodded at the seemingly empty space we both were a moment ago. "Bye Draco!" He piped up. "Bye Harry."

A/N:

okay i think this is it for tonight! i'm gonna try and update as often as possible <3

WC- 1210