the new skeleton

Nightmare walked down the hallway, his hands shoved in his pockets and a scowl on his face. Why did dream have to be like that? And out of all multiverses, why his? He just wanted to be back at the mansion reading a book or something.

Nightmare suddenly stopped in front of a room, the door was slightly open and there was a light coming from it. He walked over to the door swung it open, seeing a lit candle inside, and a dead body tied to a noose.

"..."

Nightmare walked in and glanced at the candle. They might still be alive if the candle is still lit, practically none of the wax melted anyway. He sliced through the rope with his tendril and watched the body fall to the ground.

A tendril wrapped around the body, squeezing the torso a few times before hearing them cough. He picked them up with the tendril, placing them upright.

It was a sans. They looked normal, just with a pirate outfit, and they're eyelights were red.

They had hazy eyes before they widened, realizing what was happening.
"Wha-? You saved me... But I was sure their was nobody else on this ship- wait, who are you??"

He looked up at nightmare and his pupils widened.

Nightmare blinked at him, not saying anything, waiting for the sans to figure it out.

"Wait a minute... I feel an unusually large amount of sadness right now... I haven't felt anything in days!"

"Wooh... You figured it out..!"
Nightmare said sarcasticly, turning to leave the room.

The sans perked up quickly and ran to follow nightmare.

"Wait a minute! Who are you and how did you get on my ship?"

Nightmare groaned quietly.
"Nightmare. And I don't know. You tell me."

The sans stood there for a moment thinking before realizing nightmare turned a corner and ran to catch him.

"But nightmare died! Are you a reincarnation?" And you look nothing like him..."

Nightmare turned back to the sans.
"No. I'm not your nightmare. I don't know anything about him and I never died and I was definitely never reincarnated."

"Then where did you come from?"

Nightmare stopped walking and sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"If you like asking questions, go bother dream. He'd be happy to see someone e-"

"DREAMS ALIVE TOO!?"

"...no. he came from the same place I did- look- I don't even know how your in such a positive mood around me, but I want to be alone right now."

The sans kept smiling.
"Oh no, I'm just really good at lying. I feel an overwhelming sadness in my soul."

Nightmare turned and continued walking.
"Mmmhmm. Just go find dream."

The sans nodded and ran off in the other direction.

Nightmare mumbled something to himself but stopped walking when he heard dream.

"Hey nightmare!!! I found somebody else!"

Nightmare turned around to shout back at dream.
"Yeah I know I saved it's life now leave me alone."

He heard dream sigh loudly but ignored him.

Nightmare knew this person was probably important but did not care enough to figure that out at the moment.

---

"Your names blue? We have a blue where we come from!"
Dream spoke, excited.

"Really?! I didn't even know other multiverses other than this one existed! That's so interesting! You need to tell me more!"

Dream grinned. He had always been busy working and fighting with ink, he never really got the chance to hang out with anyone.

"Our universe was so much different than this one. Everyone had their own universe that all had the same story, but a detail was tweaked."

"That sounds hard to navigate! Could you all communicate somehow?"

"Actually yes! Some of us were able to create portals. Some couldn't, so they were isolated from the rest of us."

"Teleport!? Really?"
Blues eye lights widened and he looked very interested. Dream didn't know it was that big of a detail.

"Me and nightmare can't teleport here, since there are no aus to teleport to..."

"Awww... What about nightmare though? You look somewhat similar than the dream here, but nightmare looks.... Different."
Blue questioned.

Dream looked away nervously.
"Uh... I don't want to sound rude, but i think telling you would cross nightmares boundaries. He... Has a short temper and is probably much more evil than the one that was here."

Blue nodded, and they sat in silence on the ship deck.

"What happened to your crew? I don't think you would be able to control a ship by yourself."

Now it was blues turn to turn away.
"I ditched my crew in a popular trading island after our dream and nightmare died. When I realized what I had done, I didn't have the courage to go back."

They were silent once again.

"Are you going to kick me and my brother off your boat?"
Dream asked suddenly.

"Of course not! Even though nightmare is scary and saddening, he saved my life! I assume your here either to restore the emotions or to get back to your home. I'll help you with either."
Blue grinned

Dream smiled back at him, thankful that it wasn't someone else's boat they appeared on.

"The only problem is that I have never used a map in my life, and I know nothing about boats, so I have no idea where we're going."
Dream noted.

"I can help with that! Sadly we only have a map of the main islands, and not where the tree would be located. We'd have to go to a shop that sold maps of the area around the feeling tree."

Blue though for a moment.
"First I'll have to teach you how to drive a boat..."

Dream smiled nervously.

---

Updated: 1/19/23

Words: 963