Chapter 9: Kidnapped

——————————🎙️——————————

Eddie, (Y/n) and Roger hid inside a movie theater that had a Goofy cartoon playing. Roger was holding some popcorn and laughing at the cartoon, while Eddie and (Y/n) sat behind him.

"Nobody take a wallop like Goofy. What timing. What finesse. What a genius."

Eddie reached forward and grabbed Roger by the ears and sat him down next to him. "We're supposed to be hiding. What's wrong with you?" Eddie hissed.

"What's wrong with you? You're the only person in this theater that isn't laughing. I even heard (Y/n) laugh a few times."

Eddie glanced at his niece, and she looked back at him. "What? Just cause we're on the run, doesn't mean I can't find something funny." She shrugged.

"See? Is there nothing that can permeate your impervious puss?" Roger spat. "Hey, Eddie..." Roger pulled a ridiculous face, but Eddie didn't laugh. "Boy, nothing. What could've possibly happened to you to turn you into such a sourpuss?"

(Y/n) sank in her chair a bit at that question.

"You wanna know?" Roger nodded. "A Toon killed my brother. (Y/n)'s father."

"A Toon? No." Roger gasped in disbelief.

"That's right. A Toon. We were investigating a robbery of the first National Bank of ToonTown. Back in those days, me and Teddy liked working ToonTown. Thought it was a lot of laughs."

Eddie reached into his pocket and pulled out a bottle of alcohol.

"Anyways, this guy got away with a zillion simoleans. We trailed him to a little dove down on Yockster Street. We went in. He got the drop on us. Literally. Dropped a piano on us from 15 stories. Broke my arm. Knocked (Y/n) unconscious. Teddy never made it. It was actually (Y/n)'s first case too."

Eddie glanced at (Y/n), who had her arms crossed, and her head was down.

"Thought it would've been a simple one for her first time. Get her some experience. And she experienced way more than I wanted her too. I never did find out who that guy was. All I remember was, he was standing over me, laughing. With those burnin red eyes and that high squeaky voice. He disappeared into ToonTown after that." Eddie finished.

Roger sobbed into his ears at Eddie's story. "No wonder you hate me!" He wailed. "If a Toon killed my brother, I'd hate me too."

"Come on, don't cry. I don't hate ya." Eddie told him.

"Yes you do."

"No I don't."

"You do hate me. Otherwise you wouldn't have yanked my ears all those times."

(Y/n) nudged Eddie's shoulder and gestured for him to talk to Roger.

"Alright, I'm sorry I yanked your ears." Eddie apologized.

"All the times you yanked my ears?"

"All the times I yanked your ears."

"Apology accepted." Roger turned to see that the screen was playing something else. "Oh boy! I hope it's another cartoon!"

It wasn't a cartoon. It's was actually a newsreel.