Chapter 5: Slow Pulse

Chapter 5

Slow Pulse

<>★★ ☠ ★<*>☠<*>★☠★☠★★<>

POV- Rapunzel

"Well that's great and all, but I'd rather have heard it a little earlier!" Merida grabs my arm and tosses it halfheartedly back to where it was in the first place. "I already made plans with my mum, but I can cancel. She won't be too pleased with me though, I can tell ya that."

"Sorry, I just couldn't risk telling you in front of everybody, and I wanted to see your reaction, so texting you wasn't an option. And besides," I add, "it's not like you didn't guess I was planning something."

She argues, "I didn't! I never even guessed that you-" Mer is cut off by her phone ringing. I know that it's Hiccup by the ringtone. It was Merida's favorite song, "Piano Man". I just wait for her to finish the call and lean over to the snack table.

We are standing at the back of our studio, the stage for the finale is set up and we're hanging out back here, like we always are, waiting for the others.

Whilst stuffing a full cinnamon roll into my mouth all at once, I overhear Mer's conversation but only blurbs here and there.

"I don't know, maybe he's just overworked?" Her eyebrows twist tighter together and she pinches the space between them. "We've been on a pretty tight schedule for the past few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised," she finishes. "Whatever... are you at the hospital?"

That catches my attention quickly.

"Whah?" I manage to mumble through my snack. "Whah is ih?" I try to say before I start coughing in response to the cinnamon on my throat.

"What?! Is he okay? When did this happen?" She waits for answers, but in the time it takes her to continue talking, I assume she doesn't get any revelations. "Yeah, yeah. We'll be right there. Okay, bye." Mer hangs up and, with a concerned look on her face, puts her phone back in the pocket of her thin navy hoodie.

When I finish chewing and swallowing the pastry, I start again. "Sorry bout that," I clear my throat, "What's up? Who's in the hospital?"

Merida looks away from me, fixated on nothing in particular. Quickly, she replies, "it's Jack. Hic said that Els told him that she woke up and Jack was gone. She said that when she went looking for him, he was lying on the street outside his trailer, his hand was all bloody and his head looked...blue?" She didn't sound quite convinced herself.

"Blue? What could do that?" I think out loud. "Do you think he was drugged?" I ask warily, I don't want to freak anyone out more than they already are, but it's a possible answer to the question that we are all thinking.

"No." She finally looks back at me, "I doubt it."

Waking up to the director, I say, "We can't film today; Jack's in the hospital." Before anyone can reply, I rush away and motion to Mer to follow.

<>★★ ☠ ★<*>☠<*>★☠★☠★★<>

POV- Merida

I'm walking through the set with Punz when someone grabs my shoulder, yanking me back. I feel an intense burst of electric shock where I was touched.

"Where might you be running off to?"

It's that creepy man, Pitch.

"Uh... well, Mr. Shoulder Grope," I begin, yanking his hand off of me; I'm mortified at his yellow eyes burning into my own. "My friend is in the hospital, and we're going to see what happened, so it's on short notice. That's where I'm going and why I'm running, so if your interrogation session is over, I'd like to leave please."