Grayson

Even though it was technically the 5th day in the school year, it was my first full day.

And it left me bum-fucked exhausted.

Mercifully, I only had one class after lunch, my last slot of the day being filled with a study period. I was sure that Ares, Ryker, Finn, and Jagger would expect me to go, especially since we were supposed to be working on the group history project together. That was why I was planning on bailing. Right after our English class, I would just go home early. While the boys walked to study, I would be walking out the door.

This way, when school ended, there would be no trying to talk to me like I knew they were dying to do.

I couldn't explain what they were feeling through the mate bond, but something had changed.

They were starting to notice me.

I stepped into our English class and was relieved to find that the teacher hadn't arrived yet. While I rightfully disliked Mr. Cross, it was really Mr. Drake that terrified me.

Similar to Jagger, Mr. Drake was a Royal wolf under the Earth class. He seemed to see right through the masking charm on my ring. And he was not known to let people slide for class participation.

He actively sought to publically humiliate students in his class. Calling on them when he knew that they hadn't the slightest clue what the answer was and so on.

And because he could, he included me in this onslaught.

I hadn't exactly felt bad for missing his class on the day that I was here.

Twisting the ring on my finger, I found a seat tucked in the back corner and sent a prayer to the moon goddess to protect me.

Like she ever listened to me.

The bell rung, and slowly students started filing in and filling the seats.

I kind of expected to see Ryker coming in not too far after me, but I was glad to see that he must have regrouped with his pack rather than coming after me.

Good.

Distance was good.

We needed to stay like that. No more innocent food offerings. No more not-so-innocent feelings around him.

But I had to admit. I needed that banana. My light-headedness was not joking around today. I probably wasn't going to last the school day without it.

I would stop on my way out of town at the convenience store and grab some staple goods I could carry back in my school bag. I forced myself to breathe through that idea, as it wasn't as daunting a task as the grocery store—bare minimum. I could do that.

Bending over into the aisle, I fished in my backpack to get my water bottle out. I smelled the two of them coming before I heard them, but I didn't react. I had to let this play out. And honestly, I didn't really care what they did as long as after this they would leave me alone.

I could endure that.

The one in front stops dead in front of me and glares daggers into the top of my head. From what I can tell, this one is the sort-of leader of the mean girl pack. She had wavy blond hair that sat nice and pretty at her shoulders.

"Did you steal your clothes from a homeless person or something?" She snarked down at me. I kept my head down as I righted myself in my seat, water bottle clutched in my hands.

Her friend laughed behind her.

I heard the rustle of clothing as several other students turned in our direction in their seats. I swallowed and placed my water bottle on my desk.