Chapter 3

The last thing I expected was to be standing in the middle of a ring, filled with the softest of sand, while being surrounded by a crowd of rowdy and riled up boys. This was the last thing I Alby would have me do, considering it's in their rule book. I'm guessing this is their only source of entertainment and the only thing they do for sport.

Tonight, they had a bonfire fire started, or as Newt liked to call it, "A party for the princess." They had lit a large fire and were banging on their so called instruments. Boys were dancing to the upbeat drumming, which really consisted of doing flips everywhere, Some boys were just sat around the fire, talking and laughing and just ultimately having a good time, something that looked like didn't happen to often. And me, well I sat on a log far away from them, alone, preferring to enjoy the sight than be among a bunch of guys that still seem to hate me.

Of course, sitting alone didn't last long when Alby and Newt came up to me, grabbing me and taking me where I stood now, the middle of a ring. He claps his hand getting everyone's attention before cupping them around his mouth, "Gladers it's time for our newbie here to be put to the test. Tonight we see if the girl who broke the rules, can redeem herself and make the effort to become the girl who becomes our new Glader." He announces, which makes me a hell of a lot more nervous when gawking eyes look toward me.

"How is fighting supposed to prove anything?" I ask as calmly as I can. "Isn't that what got me in trouble in the first place?"

Everyone only laughed at my question even the leader himself. But it wasn't supposed to be funny, It was serious. I hated how they made me feel ashamed. Oh but I'll show them, I'll show them just how better I can be, that I can be stronger. I clench my fist in anger waiting till Alby or anyone said anything.

"Alright Greenie, it's time for you to begin. Gally!" He called for the tall boy I had fought with earlier when I arrived.

Gally stands across the ring from me, "Okay greenie rules are simple, all you need to do is push your opponent out of the ring, simple enough? Good? Now choose your opponent wisely. Or you know, as widely as someone like you can get." Everyone begins laughing again but all I do is narrow my eyes in anger and cross my arms to prevent myself from punching him in the face.

I smirk, having already found my match, "You." I say smugly, shutting everyone up immediately. Gally only quirks his exotic eyebrows and half smiles, "Greenie are you wanna do that?"

I nod, my smirk still playing at my lips. He lets out a huff and shrugs. "If you say so." The boys all began to cheer and rooting for their own, even shouting things that could only fuel my anger.

My eyes ran through the crowd and landed on the person I was oh-so willing to trust the first day I was here. Newt stares back at me, let's out a minuscule smile and nods at me. With that small gesture my confidence boosts and I could only wonder he was so ready to support me, let alone trust me.

My attention was soon adverted back to Gally, when someone shouted 'begin!' I began walking towards him, my knees were bent slightly ready for attacking or defending. He, on the other hand, was also in the same position, walking around me in a taunting matter. "What's wrong Greenie, you scared I'm gonna hurt you're pretty face."

My eyes roll, fists clenching again, "Are you trying to scare me or flirt with me because I can't help but thank you for the compliment." People choired a sound of 'oohs' and a roar of laughter at my comeback.

Then Gally made the first move, with a growl he lurched forward, grabbing my whole upper body and throwing me to the ground, awfully too near the outside of the ring. I groaned slightly at the pain that struck my back and my head. It's been five days and I still hadn't healed too well. The Gladers cheer for him, but I stood up quickly not backing down so soon. Gally had towered over me and pushed me back down. He laughed when I grabbed the back of my head in pain. That being the part of my head where I hit multiple times in the maze and now here. "Poor Greenie, I bet you're regretting your decision of choosing me now." He states, crouching down near me.