When the Time is Right

It was raining. Merlin, Gwaine, Elyan & Percival ran and ran to get themselves - but most importantly Arthur - to safety. Morgana's men had spotted them as they were entering the forest and chased them, though none were able to follow long enough to discover and find where the servant, the knights and their king had made camp for the night; Merlin had used magic to delay and mislead them. Now, as they set up the camp, Gwaine and Percival were to guard the camp whilst Elyan collected firewood and Merlin did his best to stabilize Arthur. It was not an easy job even though the king was unconscious and therefore lay completely still. The blood was streaming from the wound. Merlin had tried every method and every spell he could think of to try and heal it. He did manage to stop the bleeding, but the wound remained open.

"Has the bleeding stopped?" Elyan asked quietly as they all sat down by the warm fire, glancing at the sleeping king.

"Yes, but I can't close the wound. Morgana must've used some powerful magic on the blade that struck Arthur."

"But isn't there something we can do?" Gwaine said, frowning slightly. The hope in his voice was quivering.

Merlin turned his gaze to the flames of the fire. "We can't do much for him. The healing process will take time, even with strong magic. Time we do not have..." Merlin looked up at his friends. "I only see one option, but it is in no way ideal. It will be necessary, though, if Arthur is to be given a chance to live."

"What do you mean?" Percival asked.

"Gaius has told me of a sorceress who is gifted in healing and curing the sick," Merlin explained. "Her name is Alys and she lives in a small village not too far from here. She can help us."

"This Alys..." Gwaine said. "Can she be trusted?"

Merlin nodded. "Gaius has only the highest respect for her. Besides, she isn't on Morgana's side. I know that because even under The Great Purge, there were two sides of magic."

"But that can have changed," Elyan argued. "How do we know we can trust this woman?"

Merlin sighed. "We don't. But it will give Arthur a chance to heal. We need him."

Elyan's expression was pained. "Nevertheless, we will be taking a great risk, Merlin."

"I'm aware," Merlin said. "But as things stand, none of us can do much for Arthur. Alys will know what to do. If she can't help him, no one can. She is a good person. Even if she isn't told who Arthur is, I'm sure she I am sure she will help him. So for his protection from Morgana and everyone else who might want to harm him we will disguise our King so that no one would recognize him."

"But, Merlin, You don't know this Alys woman!" Elyan yelled and stood up. "My sister is dead! I lost her because of Morgana! I will not let the same thing happen to her husband, our King! We have to take Arthur to a place where we know he is safe!"

"Elyan..." Percival said, putting a hand on Elyan's shoulder, but he shook it off forcefully, his face twisted in anger.

"No!" Elyan said and tore himself away from Percival's grip. "I won't leave the king's life in the hands of a strange sorceress!"

"We have no other choice," Gwaine inferred. He was more calm and expressionless than his fellow knight Elyan. "If Alys' village is near and if there is but the slightest chance that she can save Arthur's life, we have to let her try! This is our ONLY chance to help Arthur!"

Elyan glared at Gwaine, who just glared right back.

"Look," Merlin said. "Morgana is strong... so are we. But we need Arthur. Without him we don't stand a chance and the king isn't prepared to fight yet. He needs time to recover and whilst he does so, we must make sure he is beyond Morgana's reach. If we attack as an act of revenge, we will be doing her a favor. Therefore, Arthur must be taken to the only place where he can get help; we must take him to Alys. Then we will prepare for battle and attack once the king is ready."

Percival nodded his agreement and Gwaine too, once he was done attempting to convince Elyan.

"One loss is enough," Elyan said. "I just don't want another."

"And there won't be one," Merlin promised. "Not unless we let our feelings control us."

Elyan drew a sigh. "Then we should hurry to this Alys," he suggested in a sad voice. "For Arthur."

And so they did. None of them said much, thoughts and worry consuming their minds; was this at all the right choice? Did Arthur really stand a chance with Alys' help? And would he be the same when he woke? The loss of Gwen was beginning to take its toll on them all. The image of Gwen being tossed over like a useless rag was stuck in their minds. How had it even been possible for Morgana to escape? And why would those assumingly loyal servants of Camelot suddenly change allegiances?

As the morning came, Arthur was still unconscious. Merlin and the others stripped Arthur of everything that said royalty about him - except his shield and sword. Now, Arthur had the appearance of a knight, wounded in battle. Now all they needed where for the villagers to appear...

As they heard the first distant sounds of men speaking, the knights and Merlin hid.

"Adrian!" a voice shouted. "There's a man!"

Five men emerged and went to check on Arthur.

"He has been attacked," an older man determined. "And hurt very badly."

"Can Alys help him?" a third man said.

"I should think so," the older man answered. "But we must hurry. If the bandits who hurt this man return we have to be ready..." The other men nodded. And as the villagers lifted Arthur up from where he lay on the ground, heading for their village, Merlin felt his heart grow heavy - but he knew this was Arthur's only chance. So Merlin clenched his jaw as the villagers disappeared behind the trees. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"We must leave," Percival said to Merlin. "Come on, friend."

Merlin only nodded and cast a quick glance towards the place where Arthur and the villagers had vanished away and out of sight.