Chapter Twenty-Three

I still had not met with Thomas since I had learned such unsettling things about him. Though, our scheduled time together was growing ever the closer and I knew I could not avoid him without consequence for much longer.

My mind had not yet been made up, for only three days had passed and in reality, I probably needed a month if I really wanted to think it over completely. But that was not a luxury I had been afforded at that time. So, five days had to have been enough.

It was more than a difficult task to complete, however, because I was alone in my deliberations. I could not trust Rheda and Sheera with such knowledge, even though I desperately wanted to, and Cordelia would have demanded I go home at once and just marry the boy father had offered up as payment for my obedience.

I sat there staring off into nothing as I mentally went over things in my mind. Occasionally reaching up, every once in a while, to unconsciously fiddle with the necklace that Thomas had given me.

It was a wonder that I had not snatched it off my neck the moment I had arrived back to my room that day. I suppose, however, that the reason why I had not was, because out of everything that had transpired, it was the last thing on my mind. So much so that it had completely slipped from my thoughts that he had given it to me. That was until Cordelia pointed it out the next morning.

By then, I couldn't have just simply removed it, because then she would have questioned why I had. Not to mention, if I had just happened to have run into Thomas before our meeting and he saw me without it, he would have most likely been rather upset. Thus, forcing me into an unwanted, yet very avoidable, predicament.

Because, for all he knew my feelings for him were still the same, and me not wearing his gift was basically me declaring, outright, that they weren't.

"You've been flaunting that thing for almost a week now." Her calm yet serrated tone was unmistakable. "Do you really think that little bauble of yours places you higher than the rest of us? That it solidifies you as his favorite?"

I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply before I turned to face her. "Castellana, its very nice to see you."

She breathed out a chuckle, amused by my dodging of her question. "You know why he did it, don't you?" She ran her hand across the back of the chair which sat in front of me. Almost mimicking a cat stalking a small bird, and she did it with a malicious twinkle in her brown eyes, juxtaposed by the faux friendly smile that her painted lips had curled into.

"He gave his reasons." I smiled back, watching as she slowly crept closer to me. The gazes of the other girls in the drawing room had now been fixed on the two of us.

"Because, since you are devoid of any modesty and parade around your lack of loyalty, Thomas had to assert his dominance over you. Making a loud statement to the man you so shamelessly entertain in his stead, as well as any other man who dares attempt to covet any of the rest of us while we are his." I watched her eyes fill with pleasure as she glanced around to make sure everyone had heard what she had said. "It is nothing more than a simple collar for his bitch in heat."

My heart sank at her accusations. Though it was subtle, I knew she was speaking of Henry. I couldn't have cared less that she had compared me to that of a dog, truly. However, I was more concerned with the scandal that could have arisen from such misinformation being spread about the palace.

"Oh, my dear Castellana, I was unaware that you envied my gift from Prince Thomas to the point of harassment." I unclasped it from my neck and held it out for her to take, knowing she wouldn't, "If you want one so badly, you can have mine. Though, I am sure that if you just told Thomas of how you want proof of his affections towards you, he would immediately get one for you as well. You know, since he is just so fond of you and your nightly company."