Chapter Forty-Four

My face burned with anger and embarrassment as my three friends silently watched the ridiculous exchange between me, my sister, and Henry.

"Oh, thank you dear sister." Adela gleefully wrapped herself around Henry's arm, pressing her small breasts against him.

Henry's jaw clenched as he reluctantly peeled his eyes away from me to smile at her, "Come, the next dance is about to begin."

As they strode off, Adela subtly turned back to flash me a devilish grin.

My throat tightened at the sight of them, knowing she was going to do anything she could to win him over, and that it was my fault he was in such a situation. But what bothered me the most was how good they looked next to one another.

His tall, broad frame next to her small, delicate body, the clashing of her blonde hair and his brown. In truth, they almost looked like a younger version of the King and Queen, and that was enough to churn the contents of my stomach.

"Am I even good enough for him?" I thought as I tried to imagine myself as Queen. But, despite how hard I tried to envision it, I couldn't. I was hardly good enough to become a princess, but a Queen? It was starting to feel like a fool's hope, wanting to be with Henry.

Once the two of them were far enough away, Sheera stepped in front of me, immediately snatching me from my thoughts, "What on earth was all that about?"

"I-I do not know." I sighed, trying to keep myself from crying out of frustration. Whether it was the wine or all the emotions I had been desperately bottling up all night, I was unsure, but I was nearing my breaking point. Everything had started to feel like it was slowly spiraling out of my control and my chest grew ever the tighter.

Rheda's green eyes made my skin prickle as I realized she had already figured everything out. That she was well aware of my hidden feelings. "She is a bit overwhelmed, cousin." She gently said, though I could feel her need for answers through her eyes.

"I see." Sheera placed a hand on my shoulder, "Would you like to take a step outside? Get some fresh air? I do not mind accompanying you if that is something you would like."

"I'll be fine, I just need a moment." I smiled weakly, "My head feels a bit fuzzy, perhaps I should find something to eat?"

"Of course." Sheera smiled, "Would you like for one of us to come along?"

"No." I shook my head, "Thank you, but I would hate to pull any one of you away from enjoying the party to help me. So please, continue on and I will be back in a moments time."

Their eyes, filled with questions and pity, made my nerves scream as I tried to hide just how upset and close to vomiting I was.

"Gods," I mentally sighed, quickly navigating through all the bodies as I tried to lose myself in the crowd. "if she knows, then how long until someone else figures it out?" My breath shortened as the people around me grew taller and taller, or perhaps I had been shrinking? Regardless, I felt like I was drowning. I wanted to cry, to scream, to run out the front door and never look back. But that was not possible. I could not afford to shatter in front of so many people, not with so much at stake. However, it was growing harder and harder not to.

My body completely froze in place as the feeling of a hand curling around my arm flooded my mind with, brief, unwanted thoughts of that man. I did everything I could to keep myself from overreacting, but the immediate pain in my arm that followed suit made my breath catch and heart hurt as if it were being squeezed instead.

I slowly turned my head towards them, hands shaking with fear as mother's angry face came into view.

"Are you drunk?" She hissed, "What in God's name are you doing walking around with such a horrid look on your face? Are you trying to embarrass our family? I mean look at you, you're covered in sweat and your face is as red as blood."

𝚂𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚌𝚑𝚎𝚍 ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara