My Daddy Said, "Stay Away from Juliet!"

It was late into the next morning and Morgan sat on the railing to the grand staircase that led from the lavish foyer to the second floor. Green eyes scanned the room, watching the staff cleaning up from the party. It was nearly mid-day, and their parents and siblings were gathered in the sitting area, discussing the events that had led to their father's outburst the night before.

"So, she wounded your pride, and now you're cutting ties with the most powerful superhero on the planet." Morgan summarized, turning to look at the man in question. He was the only one standing, too agitated to sit down.

"She humiliated us in front of the entire Fairness Association." The hero said, pacing angrily. "And we cannot allow that boy in with her poisoning his thoughts."

Morgan arched a brow and hunched forward, resting their head in their hand. "...how is that different from what I said?" They asked, meeting their father's glare with an unimpressed looked, though they couldn't help but notice Diego stifling a chuckle, only for Chad to elbow her.

"Do not talk back to your father, Morgan." Their mother scolded. While she wasn't as visibly intimidating, her cold, disappointed stare was far more biting.

The man glared at his eldest child. "I mean it son; you stay away from him." He ordered. "There's something wrong with that boy, I can feel it."

The teen chuckled derisively. "Oh, thank goodness." They said, teenage sarcasm dripping from every word as they gestured theatrically. "Here I thought you hated me because I have shitty powers. It's a relief to know I'd be given the same treatment even if I was basically a god." They emphasized the last words to ensure their father understood how stupid he sounded.

Morgan's head snapped to the side as they were struck with the back of their father's hand, and a harsh smack echoed in the large room, followed by silence. Even the staff stopped working for a moment, before quickly getting back to it, heads down and clearly uncomfortable.

Slowly, a green glare turned back to the older hero, and Morgan reached up to gently touch the corner of their mouth. They glanced down, seeing no blood on their fingers, though they could taste a little on their tongue.

"I've had just about enough of your lip, boy." Their father snarled dangerously. "As much as everyone in this house may wish it were different, you are a Sterling. Act like it."

Morgan didn't let the pain from the blow or those words enter their eyes as they looked back up, the green glares mirroring each other. They opened their mouth to speak, but they were quickly silenced by the louder man.

"Not another word!" The hero demanded. "Not. One. More. Word. I am your father and the man of this house! You will obey me! You are going to go to your room, and you are going to stay there until morning!"

Morgan slowly slid off of the rail, glare never faltering. There was a long, tense silence, and a few of the staff glanced up, wondering if the teen was going to strike back. The young hero merely stared though, angering their father further as they turned away. They knew they couldn't lash out, not without making things far worse for themselves, so they started up the stairs. Once they were about halfway, they glanced back and gave and angry smirk. "... yes sir, mister Sterling." They hissed sardonically, enjoying their father's increased rage, before finally retreating to their room.

* * * * *

Alex shifted his grip on the knife, slicing into the soft flesh of his target again and again as he laid it open. He carefully slid the edge between two bones, a gentle twist all that was needed to fully sever the limbs and set them aside. Changing his angle, he started to slice the ribs away from the spine, skillfully dismembering his prey.

"Really? And that was enough to set the bastard off?" He asked, grunting when his mother lightly thwapped him on the arm with a wooden spoon.

"Language, young man." She scolded, returning to stirring her gravy. "Are you almost done with that chicken? The oil is already hot."

Alex sighed and finished quartering the bird. "I just have to bread it, mom." He said, getting to work with his flower and egg mixture.

He looked up as his father wandered into the kitchen. "I still think it's ridiculous." He said, snagging a beer from the fridge. "Everyone knows that boy is dummer than a box o' rocks. It ain't your fault for pointing it out." He continued, moving to hug his wife with one arm. "I woulda kicked his rich ass if I thought I coulda got away with it."

The woman turned, smiling warmly up at the man and cupping his cheek. "Oh, honey dearest." She purred sweetly with a peck on the nose. "I know you would have."

Alex made a fake gagging noise at the sweet interaction, chuckling as he was thwapped with the spoon again.

His mother turned back to her gravy, but swore when she saw it started to bubble, at risk of burning. "Fuck." She hissed, swiftly trying to save the sauce.

"Language, Mother." Alex chided as he moved to set the chicken into the oil to start frying. He chuckled at a crimson glare from the woman.

"Now you watch your tongue, boy." She scolded playfully. "You may be the most powerful superhero ever, but I'll still put you over my knee if you start mouthing off."

"You better listen to her kiddo. She's scary." The older Stewart said, reaching out to steal one of the roasted potatoes only to be struck with the spoon as well. "See?" the man chuckled, licking the gravy from his arm. "Oh, you make the best gravy, sweetheart." He praised, moving to kiss her cheek.

The woman smiled. "I know." She teased, gently pushing him away. "Now why don't you make yourself useful and set the table." She added with a playful chuckle.

"Yes, Dear." The man said, sneaking another kiss before moving to gather plates and silverware.

Alex tested the chicken, the boiling oil not even phasing him as he poked the meat.

"So Alex, what did you do at the party? We lost you there at the end." His mother asked, taking her own pot off of the heat and starting to spoon it into the gravy boat.

Alex smiled a bit, remembering the strange, funny, passionate person he'd met the night before. "I met one of the Sterling children." He said. "They were away from the party, working on some strange contraption. Morgan, I think."

The woman nodded. "Morgan, yes, that child tends to be kept out of the public eye. Ever since the poor thing got their powers, the whole family seems to have swept them under the rug."

The young hero scowled at the words. "That's disgusting..." he said, getting a nod of agreement from his mother. "They mentioned something about being in trouble for refusing to be Chad's sidekick."

The woman put her pan in the sink, shaking her head in disappointment. "That sounds like the Sterling family alright. Poor child." She said, setting her hands on her hips. There was a moment of silence as she seemed to be considering something, before shaking her head. "Listen, Alex. I don't want to keep you from making new friends, but I want you to be very careful." She warned as Alex began to pull the chicken from the oil and set it on wire racks. "I know how wonderful and strong you are, but the Sterling's are very influential, both in the city, and in the hero world... I just don't want them causing you any trouble, ok?" She said, making her son look at her with a hand on his cheek. "Promise me you'll be careful."

Alex looked at the shorter woman and slowly nodded. "I'll be careful, mom." He said.

"Good." The woman stood on her tiptoes to kiss his forehead. "Now, let's eat."

And with that, she turned away to start bringing the food to the table, leaving the other with the thoughts of that strange person trapped in that awful family.