This Love is Difficult, but It's Real

A gentle breeze sent a shower of brightly colored leaves across the park. The soft murmur of a busy farmer's market filled as Morgan examined the stalls. Gourds and root vegetables littered the tables alongside fresh honey and local crafts. The teen loved it all so much. They were on a mission today, needing to get some ingredients to make their sister a special birthday meal, and they knew just the place to start.

With every step, a ring bumped their chest from where it hung on a chain around their neck. The feeling brough a smile to Morgan's face as they thought about that night a few weeks ago. Everything was almost ready. Very soon, they would be out of their family home, and living with the love of their life.

As they rounded the corner, the sight that met them made them stop dead in their tracks. It was the Stewart farm stall, but where they expected to see plentiful fall offerings, there were only meager baskets of vegetables with a few small gourds strewn about. Behind the table sat a ragged and tired looking man that Morgan knew well.

Slowly, they approached, worry on their face. "Hey, Pops..." Morgan said, looking up at their soon-to-be father in law. "Is everything ok?

Mr. Stewart looked up with exhausted eyes, but he still managed a smile. "Hey there, Kiddo." He said, giving a little wave to try and dismiss the teen's worry. "Everythin's fine."

Morgan wasn't buying it. "Ok..." They said, moving to pick up a pumpkin. It was heavy for its size. A good baking gourd to be sure, though it would only make a very small pie. They looked around, gesturing to the mostly empty stall. "But it's the height of harvest season."

A resigned sigh came from the man as he slowly nodded. "Yeah..." He said, looking rather defeated. "We lost a lot of crops."

The words made Morgan's head pop up in surprise. "What?" They asked, setting the pumpkin down gently. They couldn't believe it. They had just been there for a little engagement party. "But I was just out there a few weeks ago. The crops were thriving."

"Well, they were." Mr. Stewart said, shaking his head. "But some folks from the state showed up and said they had evidence that a body was hidden on the property. They turnt half the fields over, trampled even more. They left gates open, so we lost a dozen heifers and our bull... and the whole damn flock is missin'..." It was clear that the man was frustrated as he turned a helpless look to the other. "I just don't understand what's goin' on."

Morgan stared at the man, listening carefully. "Oh my god..." they said, trying to make sense of the situation. There was no reason for any of that. Cadaver dogs would have been able to minimize the damage to the property if they were searching for a body.

"And we've been gettin' all kinda tickets and citations..." Mr. Stewart continued, crossing his arms over his chest. "Did you know you can get a ticket if yer address ain't visible enough from the street?"

The words only concerned Morgan more and their protective instincts took hold. This was starting to sound like someone was exploiting the system to harass this family. But why would anyone do that? "I'll look into this, ok Pops?" they assured, determination filling them. "Something fishy is going on here, and I'm going to find out what."

Mr. Stewart looked down at the other and he gave a kind smile. "Thank you, Kiddo." He said, already feeling a bit of relief.

Morgan returned the smile, giving a nod. "Sure thing. Now," They pulled out their wallet. "I'm going to need everything you've got." They said, wanting the man to be able to go home and rest.

The old farmer chuckled. He knew what the other was doing, and he appreciated it. "You got it." He said, starting to bag everything up.

Loading up their little wagon, Morgan made sure to slip some extra money to the other without him noticing. They started off at a brisk clip, going to drop the produce off at a local food pantry before heading home. They had to get to the bottom of this.