CHAPTER 1

1ST POV

"Come on! Hurry up!" Yuna's voice pierced through the crisp morning air, her tall figure dragging me and the grumpy girl along by the wrists.

"Yuna, can you stop yelling, it's eleven in the morning for God's sake!" The grumpy girl protested, throwing her head back with a whimper escaping her lips.

I shook my head at their bickering.

"Come on, don't ruin the atmosphere. We're on time so you don't have to worry about anything," I assured them, trying to diffuse the tension.

Yuna nonchalantly shrugged her shoulders.

"Don't say anything to me; Ryujin is the bad-tempered one here."

I sighed, putting an arm around the sleepy-faced Ryujin. "Leave her be. If she doesn't sleep well, it's not her fault."

"Aha..." Yuna rolled her eyes at Ryujin before leading the way, this time without forcibly dragging us.

The three of us entered the famous port, and as we did, the invigorating sea breeze greeted us with every step. It gently brushed our hair back as we traversed the wooden planks. The rhythmic sound of waves crashing against the pillars resonated through the air, while seagulls added their lively calls to the symphony, soaring in the clear sky.

Despite being a normal Wednesday morning, there weren't many people around at this early hour. Our attention, however, was immediately drawn to the bright orange ship docked at the port. I could sense my friends' gazes also fixed on the striking transport vessel.

Although not a masterpiece of infrastructure, the ship served its purpose while capturing the attention of onlookers. In bold blue and cursive, the words 'Staten Ferry Island' adorned its sides. While the exterior showed signs of wear and tear with windows not as clean as they could be, rust dripping from the corners of metal frames, it still held a certain charm.

One could freely enter the ferry, as it operated on a free basis, eliminating the need for ticket collectors. Upon stepping inside, a peculiar scent greeted us—an amalgamation of saltwater, aged wood, and the unidentifiable essence of the sea. I decided not to dwell on it too much, choosing instead to immerse myself in the unique atmosphere of the ferry.

"Where do we sit?" Yuna asked, stopping in her tracks and turning around, hands resting on her hips, her gaze fixed on me and Ryujin.

The three of us stood there, eyeing up the choices like we were picking our next Instagram filter. The ship wasn't just a one-floor wonder; it had multiple levels and even outdoor terraces for those who wanted a breath of sea air.

Now, it was my first rodeo on a boat like this, so I was clueless about the whole setup. I was itching to see how much room we had to roam inside this floating beast.

We decided to start our exploration on the first floor. Stepping in, it felt like the inside of a bus but with windows that only half-committed to letting in the view. Those chairs – they were basic, like something you'd find in a waiting room, spaced out like they were trying to social distance long before it was cool. Comfort wasn't their strong suit; in fact, they looked like they'd give your back a hard time.