xix. save the pep talk

REAL LIFE

"i'm the stupidest person on the face of the earth." olivia buried her face in her hands. after texting nick she threw her phone down and just felt the need to cry. she let out a big sigh before laying back onto her bed. 

why was she like this? just when they were finally making progress, she screwed it up. she felt like a beach ball that someone had just thrown around until it got lost at the beach and wound up at some island across the ocean. she was so much farther from where she started. 

"liv, i brought matt!" cory exclaimed from the front door. upon seeing her roommate upset, cory's smile vanished and she immediately ran over to her. "are you okay?" she asks. liv shakes her head. 

"i screwed things up big time, cory." she sighed. she catches sight of matt walking in and the two share an awkward smile. "hey matt."

"hi livvie." matt responds. "how're you holding up?"

"okay, i guess. i feel really bad, though. how's chris?"

"chris is..." matt trails off, trying to think of a good way to explain without making olivia feel bad. liv, unfortunately, gets the message and groans. 

"ugh, i'm such a shitty person." she wailed, covering her eyes with her hands. matt immediately shakes his head.

"no you're not, liv. yeah, chris is really torn, but he'll get over it. i know him. but i also know you. you're not the kind of person who just runs away when things are hard. you always... fuck, what's the word?" he turns to cory for help. cory laughs.

"persevere, matt."

"yeah! you always persevere through your issues and problems. finding solutions was like what you were good at! so knowing that about you, i can..." he closes his eyes, stopping cory from giving him the word this time. the two girls look at him amused until he let's out an exasperated sigh and looks at cory again.

"what matt's trying to say is that we can see that you're struggling with your feelings for chris. you love him but you don't know if you can trust him." cory explains, with matt eagerly nodding.

"exactly! and this is something that everyone goes through. take me and cor for example. we started dating literally less than a month after we met online. that's because we just knew we were right for each other. cory didn't know if she could trust me until... until that day. when she texted me because no one else responded and i answered within seconds."