xx. go ahead and waste my time

REAL LIFE

chris was nervous. he asked matt earlier to take cory back to their house so he could be with olivia alone, so he wasn't worried about anyone walking in. however, he was so sure that olivia wouldn't listen and he spent the last two hours practicing his final apology speech for nothing. with one final inhale, chris raises a fist to the door and knocks. 

within thirty seconds, the door opens to olivia. chris had to refrain from staring. her long brown hair was in a low ponytail, but her curtain bangs were framing her face. she was dressed in a simple t-shirt and baggy jeans, but chris had no idea how such a basic outfit could make someone look so perfect. 

"chris, what are you doing here?" olivia asks. chris opens his mouth, afraid to answer. when olivia looks at him with a questioning expression, he takes a deep breath.

"i came to apologize. for everything." he states. olivia let out a contempt sigh.

"chris, i don't-"

"olivia, i swear to god, just fucking hear me out." chris interrupts her, his voice raising slightly. olivia looked taken aback by his sudden outburst, and hesitates before nodding and letting him inside the dormitory. she sits on the bed.

"okay. i'm listening."

"what i said the other night was partly true. but when we were nine and i ran away, it wasn't just because i was afraid of my feelings. i was scared to lose you. i didn't want that to be the last time i saw you, so i thought that if i didn't witness it, then it just wouldn't happen. i'm going to be honest, i half expected you to come looking for me. but you didn't."

"chris..." olivia starts, but he waves her off.

"please, just let me finish." he pleads. olivia nods, closing her mouth. "i thought you hated me. i thought that since i left, you never wanted to see me again. i was so fucking scared to reach out to you that i never did, which made things worse. the last thing i wanted to do was hurt you. i spent nine years in fear that my best friend hated me for what i did to her. and then you came back and suddenly, i had the courage to try to fix it. i wasted so much time thinking about it, never acting upon my thoughts, and giving you so much false hope while you were gone, i'd hate me, too."

"i don't hate you, chris. i never hated you."

"you should've. i was a terrible friend to you. and even since you got back, i've done nothing but waste your time with my stupid fucking apologies and i-"