The Skimwing

Monster Name: Tsurak

Taxonomy: Ichthyopterix

Habitat: Earth

Length: up to 14.6 meters

Skin: Grey and Orange

Anatomy: The skimwing is large, able to comfortably fit a fully grown Na'vi on its back. Its skin is grey and its large fins, which partially elevate it out of the water like a Terran flying fish, are orange with dark markings.[3] Its head also resembes that of a Terran gharial. Although Pandora's low gravity and high air density allows the skimwing to use its wings to fly in ground effect above the water, its tail remains in the water to propel it forward. With its powerful tail, the skimwing can travel at up to 50 knots (58 mph / 92 kph) and maintain a cruise speed of 35 knots (40 mph / 65 kph) for hours. The skimwing and the ikran share a common evolutionary ancestor. Unlike whales or dolphins, skimwings cannot drown. They breathe using their gills while underwater, but inhale air through two nostrils located on top of their heads during flight. They mostly feed on fish and small aerial creatures.

In Metkayina Culture: The Metkayina clan and other reef clans use the skimwing for hunting larger prey at the surface or to dive deeper. It is also used as a mount during combat. Only the most skilled Metkayina hunters may tame a skimwing; they are temperamental and take a long time to form a loyal bond with their rider Jack Sullivan rides one after visiting the Metkayina clan.