The Tulkun

Monster Name: Tulkun

Habitat: Earth

Length: Males: 93-263 ft (28-80m)
Females: 65.5-230 ft (20-70m)
(size varies on age/maturity)

Culture: Tulkuns are highly intelligent creatures with their own unique culture and philosophy. Quint Baker mentions they are probably smarter than humans, as well as being more "spiritual" and "emotional". However, this intelligence can only be expressed in its own unique way, similar to whales. This intelligence has allowed the tulkuns to form a culture among themselves, including the establishment of the tulkun way, an ancient pacifist doctrine stemming from their early history that forbids all forms of killing.

Tulkuns are slightly transcendent, being sentient and highly cultured, including rich family histories, mathematics, poetry, and sophisticated music.They have their own language, individual names and can communicate with the Na'vi who use sign language. They are very close to all of marine reef clans; for instance, the Metkayina clan see them as siblings. Each Metkayina member engages a lifelong bond with a tulkun early in their life, whom they call their spirit brother/sister. They celebrate each others' families, the birth of a new child and mourn the loss of a family member. Tulkuns can access memories stored within Eywa and are able to share their experiences with the Na'vi.

Adult tulkuns can be observed to have tattoos on their snouts and bellies similar in style to that of the Metkayina clan.

Anatomy: The tulkun is presumably the largest fauna on Pandora, being up to 300 feet (91.4 meters) long when fully grown. Despite their size, they also inhabit near-shore waters and can breach out of the water. They have dark grey/blue skin with areas of white coloration on their underbellies and colorful, stripe-like markings across their body. Characteristic of other Pandoran life forms, tulkuns have four eyes, two on each side of the head, that are orange in color, and the shapes of irises are different between larger and smaller eyes; the irises on smaller eyes resemble that of Terran goats. They have six flippers, although the last two have merged to become part of its tail, similarly to Terran seals. They have six blowholes on their backs and highly durable armor plating across their body.

They can also reach fast speeds at 25mph, which is around the speed of the fastest human athletes. Their lifespans are long but can vary greatly from 150 to 250 years. They are also sexually dimorphic in terms of sizes and headgear with the males typically being 8-10 meters larger and having bigger, more colorful crests than the females.

The tulkun have a single queue inside of their mouths and two sensory organs protruding from the bottom of their snouts. The most striking part of the tulkun are its pair of echolocation organs that appear as large, brightly colored head crests that protrude from the front of its snout.